Why no eggs?

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I had two male button quail. So I sold one of them. I ordered a female button quail from C Spots farm. She was 3 months old, laying, and vent sexed according to the seller. I got her 2-3 months ago. She is white and seems healthy. After a few days of rest after shipping, I began to introduce her to my remaining male. They did fine, and still are. I wouldn't say they are exactly bonded, but they don't fight either. I keep them in an outdoor rabbit hutch, and when it's cold I put on a heat lamp or heating plate on for them. I also cover their hutch in canvas so it's not drafty at night. I feed them Nutrena All Flock crumbles, freeze-dried soldier fly larvae for extra protein, either millet or a pet bird seed mix (depending on what I have), and occasionally herbs/lettuce from my garden (when it's in season) and any ants/worms/bugs I happen to find. Why won't she lay?????????????? She's half way through her life by now and hasn't laid a single egg for me.

I had two male button quail. So I sold one of them. I ordered a female button quail from C Spots farm. She was 3 months old, laying, and vent sexed according to the seller. I got her 2-3 months ago. She is white and seems healthy. After a few days of rest after shipping, I began to introduce her to my remaining male. They did fine, and still are. I wouldn't say they are exactly bonded, but they don't fight either. I keep them in an outdoor rabbit hutch, and when it's cold I put on a heat lamp or heating plate on for them. I also cover their hutch in canvas so it's not drafty at night. I feed them Nutrena All Flock crumbles, freeze-dried soldier fly larvae for extra protein, either millet or a pet bird seed mix (depending on what I have), and occasionally herbs/lettuce from my garden (when it's in season) and any ants/worms/bugs I happen to find. Why won't she lay?????????????? She's half way through her life by now and hasn't laid a single egg for me.
I am no expert or anything like it. Just started raising Coturnix quail myself but I was wondering how many hours of daylight do they get? From everything I have read and heard they need 12 to 14 hours of light to lay consistently. So you might think about that. I have seen where people used strings of Christmas lights on a timer to add extra light.

We can do everything we can to encourage them, but they lay on their schedule. I've had quails who haven't started laying eggs until they're way older than they should be.

Also, just curious, which hemisphere are you in? That could effect whether or not she'll lay anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom