Why no Eggs?

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I have 12 pullets 6 of them are 30 weeks old and the other 6 are around 18 weeks. Why arnt the older ones laying? they get plenty of outside room they are in a chicken tractor with a huge run atached. THey get free range for 3 or 4 hours a day. They get layena scratch in small amount oyster shells and some leftovers. They have been showing sings so may be I am just impatient. 4 have eggs squated, they seem friendlier, They are noisier, they have been checking out the nest boxes, and there faces are redder.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
Henry

They enjoy making you wait.
he.gif

I know and they have become incredibly people friendly they activly seek being held so they chase my family around trying to get picked up. then you put them back in the tractor and they go into the nest box turn around settle down and 30 seconds later jump out :mad:

It is torture !

Would thistle seeds slow the start of laying ? they get some out from under the bird feeders.

Thanks,
Henry

Have you checked around where the free range?
Could be that they are laying a plenty of eggs somewhere else. I once had a couple of hens that would lay anywhere except in the nesting boxes. Yours may be doing the same.

You may want to keep them away from bird feeders. The wild birds can be carriers of diseases of which you wouldn't want your chickens exposed. Do a search on bio-security.

You probably do have eggs hidden somewhere if they free range. Just think, you get to have another Easter Egg Hunt!
yippiechickie.gif

Yep, you just may have eggs hidden somewhere. I find egg nests everywhere. In tall grass, in a bush, under an object that has been sitting for awhile, even in a box once. Sometimes they just wait until the weather is much nicer.
big_smile.png

I can't wait till after school I will look in all of there hiding spots behind the woodpile, in the holly tree, under the bluberries. I am so exited to get poked and try and fit my 6 ft frame into chicken hideing spots
lol.png
.they only went to the bird feeder once to get spilled thistle and they seemed to like it so I gave them alittle. there are no birds at the feeders anyway because of cats.

Thanks,
Henry

Back
Top Bottom