Why no pips on day 21?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackyardAnimalsDucks, Nov 10, 2019.

1. I have been maintaining my humidity at 70% since day 18. I think at least two eggs don’t have chickens that are alive but i never take out eggs this late. No peeping or movement. With most of my hatched i don’t get pips until late day 21 or day 22 but to my unlucky all of those hatches had the power go out during incubation but i haven’t had the power go out this hatch. I started off with normal humidity then i did a dry incubation. So, why no pips?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    (Southern USA)
    What was your temperature throughout the incubation period? Give them time...

FortCluck likes this.
  3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    What's your temp at? Do you have an extra thermometer and hygrometer in the incubator or are you relying solely on the incubators readings?

I had issues my last hatch with raising the humidity above 55%. I had sticky chicks and 9 didn't make it out (didn't absorb the yolk and were smaller). I got 21/30. The current hatch I'm on my chicks are growing better and the air cell looks a lot better and I'm doing 30% humidity till day 18 (I'm running incubator dry) on day 18 I'm going to 50-55% humidity. This is what I was told to do. So far it is working.

I got pips on day 21 with 60% humidity. I wouldn't go any higher

muddy75 likes this.
  4. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I also did eggtopsies 48 hours after day 21... I had a chick that was alive that never pipped externally! It was super weak and on the verge of dying. I removed it from the egg and used a dropper to put Pedialyte in it's beak. I left it in the bator for 12 hours and gave it Pedialyte every two hours. You can't even tell which one it was now!

IMG_20191102_091802.jpg

5. it’s was maintained at 37.5 c temperature(99.5). i i calibrated my hygrometer.

6. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I'd just wait then... Maybe next time try lower humidity at day 18. Too high humidity can be just as bad as too low humidity. It makes it hard for the chicks to come out because the membrane is too sticky.

SilkieLover7 and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  7. i accidentally hit the incubator and one of the eggs rolled around a little. Did i just hurt it?

MROO likes this.
  8. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    No, I had some roll by themselves all over the place. It's fine! Don't worry.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  9. Okay i’m going to take that mistake and say i’m encouraging it to hatch. In my past after one hatched and rolled them around they pipped like crazy.

FortCluck likes this.
  10. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Yes... Once one hatches usually it encourages them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: