Why not keep roosters?

cochinbantam-lover

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Hi everyone,
I hope all is well with the little ones! I have a question for you, I ordered my chicks all as straight run as that was the only way they were avalable. Why does everyone want to sell the boys anyway? I like the roosters too!
smile.png
Special reasons? Maybe breeding, fighting, etc.
I am getting all Cochin Bantams and they are very sweet birds don't picture them as attacking or fighting too much! Thoughts please!

My babies are going to all be pets and to improve the appearance of the farm!
big_smile.png

Thanks!

Depending on the ratio you get, keeping the roos is not a bad thing if you want them. You don't want too many roos and not enough girls. I think its 1 roo per 10 hens and that is for the happiness of the hens too. Too many roos and you get roughed up hens. They will be fighting alot too.
I personally don't have them because I don't want the breeding of the hens or the crowing (which I love but have nasty neighbors).
I would love to have a roo if I lived where the neighbors wouldn't raise a stink about it.
They are a beautiful addition to the flock. But they can be noisy, some can be mean and they will fight amongst themselves if you have too many.
Hope this helps.

We have had trouble even with only one, because we only have 7 hens, and he just keeps them too busy. We are growing more, for breeding purposes, and we will have three roos with about 25-30 hens, so we may have to keep some penned up away from the hens sometimes.

If you have them seperated I have heard that you can keep several roosters togather, and they probably wont fight unless there are hens with them. I have never tried it, just read about it.

But, if they are not bugging the hens, or if you have enough room to keep them penned alone, then go for it! I LOVE roosters, I would love to be able to have a lot of them. THey are so beautiful.

well a good ratio is 10 hens to 1 roo in general so that is one reason.
For me its cause of noise but I still have one main roo and a silkie roo that onky crows fom 6-7 am so far and not that loud. I will have a few more for breeding puroposes but will be housing them together in my garage coop with visits from the ladies in a breeding pen.

simply put: roosters fight each other when hens are around. usually to the death.

however: you can keep all the roosters you want in a coop/run if you don't put any hens in there with them.

We have several roos, but mostly they end up for food
sad.png

From what everything I've read here, we have waaaay too many roos, but no problems. I have 22 hens and 7 roos, all free range 100% of the time. No fighting, no hen lovin' abuse, etc.....Maybe it's because they have free run of the place?

Personally, I like the roos. All except one are total sweethearts, and the one that is the devil is a GOOD rooster to his flock, so he stays. I don't want any more roos, which is a problem because I have many many roo baby chicks......
sad.png
We'll just let them grow for a few months and see where to go from there.

Quote:
Thankyou for the info, that is just pathetic, who doesn't want to hear the beautiful sound of roosters crowing in the morning, afternoon, evening .....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom