Why not spoil them?

If you free range your chickens, how can you feed treats in this balanced model?

I feed a 22% protein crumble, but my girls still go after every bug as if they haven't had protein in their entire lives. I give about two to three handfuls of flock party every night, for 11 chickens. Usually oat and mealworm, sometimes corn and mealworm.

Is free ranging considered a treat, then? If they can get bugs while free ranging, are mealworms a treat? Or is the only treat I'm feeding the corn / oats with the mealworms... What about all the low protein things they choose to eat while they're free ranging? Wild berries and weeds.

Are those treats too??? I think when you get to a certain point it's just... Tit-for-tat. I just don't know how to determine if free ranging is impacting them, or if because I free range I can't give treats at all.

First of all... I love Bob Hope! :D

My oldest chicken is going to be 11 in September. I have never put any of my chickens on a strict diet. I have a feeder that holds 30 lbs of feed and I fill it up with layer mash (and occasionally I'll mix in some cracked corn or oats...) and they will eat what they like when they like. "Jewel" my oldest hen (she is a Black Sex Link) loves cat food and if we don't keep her off of the back porch everyday her lunch will consist of a cup or two of Kit & Kaboodle :lol:

We typically give the whole flock some table scraps everyday (this could be anything). And they all get some peanuts or oats at least once a week.
Our Black Australorp hen "Bibby" is absolutely spoiled rotten. Every afternoon without fail (she is very faithful) she'll come walking up to the front porch, and beg and beg until someone comes out and throws her a handful of something (her favorite treat has always been rolled oats).

All of our chickens free range dawn till dusk, so at the end of the day their crops are bulging to no end :p

So, to sum it all up: Treat your chickens if you like, just make sure their 'feed' doesn't consist of potato chips or crackers. And that they always have access to a good healthy feed :)

Last edited:
This has always been one of my favorite pictures of "Lester"
lester3.png

This has always been one of my favorite pictures of "Lester"
View attachment 1486668
I’m at the point in my life where iffin my grand babies (young adults now) want cake for breakfast I give it to them! Evil grandmother!! My chickens get better ‘treats’ than some children in the world (extremely sad but true). Heck I’m so over the top that my girls come running when I shout the word “BUG!” We go hunting together. I’ve had struggles and in my younger years went without perhaps I’m over compensating. Dunno...Got chicken poop Hair and I don’t Care!!! (Or something like that) ROFLMAO:sick

I keep feed available in the coop and run at all times. Either layer feed or all flock. In the mornings I usually throw some scratch or mealworms for them when I let them out. My wife got in the habit of giving them a dinnertime meal, usually a sampler of some grated cheese, yogurt, fruits, veggies like tomato, cucumber, zucchini, carrot, and oatmeal. Sometimes I crumble up their eggshells and add them in too. Or when making scrambled eggs, make some extra so they get some too. One time I had an spare grilled chicken breast that nobody ate, so I diced it up finely and it didn't last long in their bowl.

As a rule I do not give them table scraps, other than veggies. Never pasta or bread. Nothing fatty and avoid added sugars, like greek yogurt vs Yoplait.

They get to roam free around the yard few hours almost every day and harvest bugs and whatever they find. And I give them occasionally a hanging cage filled with lettuce in the run, or any melon rinds or a bigger chunk to enjoy in the shade of a tree while harvesting.

I follow same principle in feeding them as I do with our dogs. They always have their food available in their bowls. I don't measure it up by cups. Animals know how much they need to eat and I don't ration that. Anything that I have to buy in small bags, like bacon wrapped sweet potato... those kind of stuff I give the dogs as a reward for staying still when I clip their nails.

I think to each their own. Sometimes I think I am too strict. My mom always said.... growing up the chicken were raised on table scraps and they were just fine. I would see her sneak off when she thinks I am not looking and give them treats galore.

We were at one point feeding too much treats and they stopped laying eggs. We cut back on the treats and we started getting eggs again. Our girls free range so they eat whatever they can get, crumble, fruits, veggies and treats and they seem fine.

Having that been said, I do wonder sometimes if we are being too strict. I had a broody hen hatch 5 babies and I was freaking out over how to feed them. I am used to buying chicks and raising them in a more controlled environment. I switched all the layer to chick feed but couldn't do anything when mama hen would take then out. (I didn't separate them from the flock.) Mama would find food and bugs and they would eat it. In the meantime would freak out because I felt they were not be getting enough protein. Well they are 10 weeks tomorrow and they look healthier than the ones I raised in a controlled enviroment and only on mash and grower crumble.

I think do what makes you happy.

I feel like it’s our responsibility to raise our animals to be as healthy as they can be , saying they love this as a treat is just crazy because if I hold their own feed in my hand they “ go crazy”

Call me strick, but I have 4 thin healthy dogs, 4 cats and 25 hens all at a healthy weight . That is why I bought them , if you were honest you’d admit giving treats is for your pleasure not theirs. Pick them grass ...

Animals need your attention and love , think of ways to give that to them and you can all be happy and healthy.

From the owner of a boarding kennel that sees way too many obese animals, it’s heartbreaking ❤️

I treat my chickens every day. They love fruits, veggies, different scratch grain mixes, meat and mealworms.

They wouldn't eat just mush if they were wild, I'm not going to feed em just mush. They work hard to give me eggs, shouldn't I put in a little effort to make sure they're happy? After all, I'm the one who decided to keep them.

I mean, chickens will also fight themselves bloody over styrofoam packing peanuts.

I don't think we should use the 'oh, but it makes them so HAPPY' argument for anything. They'll be happy if you give them blueboard.

Back
Top Bottom