Why not spoil them?

Pics

Seaecho

Songster
6 Years
Oct 12, 2017
High Desert, S. CA.
I was thinking about how so many people are super strict with how they feed their chickens. Just the pellet, or crumble, or mash, or whatever, rarely giving treats.. George Burns, Bob Hope, and a couple of others I can't think of the names right now, I will use as an example. George smoked constantly, and Bob Hope didn't eat right, yet both lived to be over 100! (My mother was at a banquet and Bob Hope was there, and she told me he didn't eat any of his veggies, lol) Now, if you feed a chicken treats every day in addition to the balanced food, will that cut its life short? Don't chickens deserve treats? Not all of us humans follow a strictly healthy diet. In fact, MOST of us will have desserts and/or treats at least a few times a week. Don't our chickens deserve the same pleasure?

There was a post from someone here just recently who fed her chicken scratch as the main diet, and there was a picture of it. It looked very healthy to me. I am the type who does feed a good balanced diet, but I also give a small amount of scratch and "Hen Treats" every day plus yogurt, different fruits, veggies, parrot seed, that baby food in the pouches mixed in, etc. It comes out to more than 10% of their diet. In fact, it's probably closer to 30%. I wonder what everyone's opinion is on giving your chickens a varied diet, with daily treats included. I also wonder if anyone has had chickens reach an old age with a diet that includes lots of treats.

Of course genetics is ALWAYS a factor in longevity, regardless of what you feed.

No chickens don't DESERVE treats.... anymore than dogs do. WE like giving them treats... it's as much about how it makes us feel as it is about them. They are just doing what they were created to do. It isn't like they went a roofed my house or built a coop. :p

I'm a tightwad... no scratch EVER. You can still supplement good quality treats without going over board. Sometimes I like to ferment my ration as a treat. Or I even buy another type of chicken feed in pellet form and toss some. Make choices like peas instead of corn. And sprouting fodder. Since my birds are free range on pasture with berries, apples, grass and such... I don't count that stuff. Yes free ranging does make up to about 30% of the diet as far as I can tell, which does include bugs.

And with kids... they don't need to eat half the cake to be satisfied. They are happy with a small slice.

As far as I am concerned do what you want within reason... just because someones birds "looked healthy" doesn't make it true. I will put my stamina up against many who are "skinny and healthy" looking even though I look a little fluffy. When crud hits the fan if ya got nothing in the reserve tank then you are SOL. Absolutely we are what we eat... there is a reason why feeding higher protein gives better hatch results... cuz their is more nutrition going to the egg.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. I can tell you a truth but I can't make you accept it. Chickens don't have fancy brains telling them that styrofoam won't meet their nutritional needs, It's up to us to make those choices.

For me... I do what I think is the RIGHT thing and that I feel good about. That does not include OVER treating my birds or my dogs or any other animal.

Yes, I WISH I could have the same conviction for myself! :oops: And I do most of the time. It's not about living forever... but having a body that is as comfortable as possible while making the journey...

Why do people dope it up, drink it up, or smoke it up, never eat a vegetable and still live a long time... Who knows... doesn't make me wanna go do it. :D

Chickens have no understanding of being spoiled. They don't stand around wondering why we don't love them because we don't give them treats. The reason I feed a proper ration with only a small amount of extras is because I care about them and want them to be healthy. Giving them low-protein extras may make you feel warm and fuzzy, but it's denying them important nutrition, and that's not how I tend to my livestock.

I watched an acquaintance feed four of her hens literally to death. Oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, scratch, as much as they wanted, plus all the layer crumble they could eat. They were fat as bowling balls and perished from egg binding one by one, slowly. That's not love.

First of all... I love Bob Hope! :D

My oldest chicken is going to be 11 in September. I have never put any of my chickens on a strict diet. I have a feeder that holds 30 lbs of feed and I fill it up with layer mash (and occasionally I'll mix in some cracked corn or oats...) and they will eat what they like when they like. "Jewel" my oldest hen (she is a Black Sex Link) loves cat food and if we don't keep her off of the back porch everyday her lunch will consist of a cup or two of Kit & Kaboodle :lol:

We typically give the whole flock some table scraps everyday (this could be anything). And they all get some peanuts or oats at least once a week.
Our Black Australorp hen "Bibby" is absolutely spoiled rotten. Every afternoon without fail (she is very faithful) she'll come walking up to the front porch, and beg and beg until someone comes out and throws her a handful of something (her favorite treat has always been rolled oats).

All of our chickens free range dawn till dusk, so at the end of the day their crops are bulging to no end :p

So, to sum it all up: Treat your chickens if you like, just make sure their 'feed' doesn't consist of potato chips or crackers. And that they always have access to a good healthy feed :)

Last edited:
If you free range your chickens, how can you feed treats in this balanced model?

I feed a 22% protein crumble, but my girls still go after every bug as if they haven't had protein in their entire lives. I give about two to three handfuls of flock party every night, for 11 chickens. Usually oat and mealworm, sometimes corn and mealworm.

Is free ranging considered a treat, then? If they can get bugs while free ranging, are mealworms a treat? Or is the only treat I'm feeding the corn / oats with the mealworms... What about all the low protein things they choose to eat while they're free ranging? Wild berries and weeds.

Are those treats too??? I think when you get to a certain point it's just... Tit-for-tat. I just don't know how to determine if free ranging is impacting them, or if because I free range I can't give treats at all.

My birds get scratch grains for evening treats when I go out to collect eggs. I do add some sunflower seeds and some oats. They love it. It's not enough to make much of a matter because each bird gets probably less than a thimble. When they see me with the treat bucket they get very eggcited. I know my birds are healthy. They are tested by the state yearly and I show them at poultry shows. Some of the top breeders I know give some kind of treats. One fellow (who usually wins the best in show) gives his birds treats of sunflower seeds. I think it's personal preference, everyone is different.

Treats are fine in moderation just like for us. If you just eat a small bowl of chips no biggie but the whole bag is a no-no. Treat timing is also a big factor, putting out some eggs or mealies during molting or after illness are going to be put to better use than if you just chuck it out everyday. Obviously choice is huge too! If you've got either melon or white bread to offer don't think twice give the melon! You can probably tell I do treat my birds, their lives are fairly short even in the best conditions. I want them to be happy and have choices but I don't want to have to roll them out of the coop either.:)

Back
Top Bottom