why olive oil

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2chickenrich, Nov 4, 2008.

1. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Songster

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    dose olive oil have a laxative effect for chickens? Will it hurt chicken that aren't sick? a question I should have asked before I gave it to all the chickens this morning .
    If something is caught in the crop that won't pass do they always die? can they vomit it up?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Not sure on the olive oil thing.

Chickens can't vomit it up if anything gets stuck in the crop it just keeps getting worse and worse.

3. I too am curious on this one. I have read that some soak bread with olive oil if the crop is extended. I do not really understand this. So I will post and wait too. thanks

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it doesn't have to be olive oil. I always use that with my girls because it's much more nutritious than just plain vegetable oil. I add it to their oatmeal, etc. Any vegetable oil would be fine for crop maintenance or fixing an impacted one. Also, the extra virgin olive oil I use seems to improve their circulation tremendously. You should see their bright red combs, wattles and faces after eating it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadnt seen it for myself.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  5. Thanks spleckledhen. I will give this a try someday as I go to the barn and feed bread as entertainment and relaxation. I love to call the birds in and watch them go for the bread.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree, could be anything lubricating, but if you're going to do it, might as well use a "good oil".

7. speckledhen

I just spoil my birds, LOL. Nothing but the best for my kids!

8. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Songster

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    Thanks for the help , he's still swollen but he is still eatting ,he's part pig I'm sure. I'll give more olive oil bread in the morning and hope it works. we checked on him just before dark and he was ok.

9. speckledhen

Is it impacted or sour? Sour will have a terrible smell on their breath. You need to keep food away from him and massage the crop gently after you give him the oily bread. No other feed for a day or so, then you feed him yogurt and maybe scrambled eggs, soft foods. They can vomit, but they can also aspirate/choke. I lost my valuable Blue Orpington hen to sour/pendulous crop a few weeks ago.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:They CAN vomit? Well paint me blue and call me sparky - I had NO idea - Guess I must have been thinking about the HORSE. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by