why only 50% quail eggs hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waleedshah, Sep 11, 2013.

1. waleedshah

waleedshah New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    why only 50% quail eggs hatched i had put 30 coturnix quails in incubator with ventilation keeping temperature from 99 to 100 but only 15 eggs hatched the i put 24 eggs but same 50% rate achieved and put 300 eggs purchased from a farm they start hatching after 14 days till 125 eggs are hatched but it seems that again i got 50% rate. So where is the problem what is going wrong with me??

2. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    If your cotunix are hatching at 14 days your temperature is too high. Your thermometer may not be accurate.

3. waleedshah

waleedshah New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    how can i check the thermometer and some chicks stick in egg why?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] I agree with the above, I suspect your incubator temperature and/or humidity is incorrect. It can happen easily, for example if you use a faulty thermometer (like I did with my first hatch). I'd suggest that first off that you calibrate your thermometer, there's more info that here:

http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6672710_calibrate-digital-thermometer.html

Some questions: Is your incubator a forced air or a still air model? (With or without a fan). Also where in the incubator did you take the reading? Some incubators, even good ones, have warmer and cooler spots, so it's important that you measure it accurately, all over, especially in a still air model (without a fan). Do you know what the humidity was during incubation and lockdown?

5. waleedshah

waleedshah New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Sir my incubator has a fan and i don't know what the humidity is?
    is there any way to check humidity without hygrometer because i don't have any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by