Why pretend to lay eggs (non-laying hens)

I have a 3yr old black copper marans and she also stopped laying about 2 yrs ago after hatching out some chicks. We have a basket on the porch the chickens have claimed and I watched her twice today sit for while get up and do the egg song. We call her the faker (attention seeker). I have no idea why this happened. I can say I remember around that time we also had a raccoon attack and I do remember thinking well maybe she’s just stressed, but that was 2yrs ago. I don’t worry with it as she fits in the pecking order is happy and healthy.
Show me a pic. Happy & healthy is all that matters! I have a little BO pullet healing from a fox attack last week. I was standing right there too! Early in the morning. Anyway, she has a tiny puncture wound and a pretty good limp but, Shes eating and trying her best. We're blessed. (These day in the mornings I pace while they free range) 😬👀🦊

Attachments

• 71208955522__66A38660-8A21-452E-90FB-FD9176A06836.jpeg
    71208955522__66A38660-8A21-452E-90FB-FD9176A06836.jpeg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 2
I have a 4 yo Rhode Island Red who does the same! Nearly every day, sits in the nest an hour or two and does her best to pretend whatever she might be sitting on is her egg!! No signs of molting, stress, etc. Has been doing this for many months, although she was still laying during the summer-fall. Glad she's not the only one 😂

I had a 8yo hen that stopped laying after her 3rd year and she kept pretending for 5 years straight! She would go through the whole ritual and sit in the nest for some time every day. We found it endearing and never bothered her.

Why keep doing it? Did the familiar actions bring her satisfaction? Kept her calm? Maybe. Then again someone in the family said she was doing it to convince us she was still useful and we shouldn't cull her lol :D

Last edited:
My little Ravioli, New Hampshire Red, maybe 4 years old, started doing this this past summer, too. Most of the summer she did not lay a single egg, which I was really thankful for because she has had issues in the past where she laid 2 eggs a day. But as I said, she faked it, throwing bedding all over, egg song and all. I really think she must have some sort of hormone issues causing this, but not sure. She went through a somewhat hard molt finally around the beginning of November and has just come out of it and lays every few days now. So not sure what to make of it. Maybe it was too hot in the summer? Idk. Wacky hormones is my guess 🤷🏽‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom