1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why raise Bantam chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcal, Jan 25, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I raise RIR's and love the eggs. I visited the local trade day yesterday where a few people were selling chickens. One guy was selling BB Red Bantams. They are beautiful and I understand having "pets" but is the main reason to have banty chickens?

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    [​IMG] Good question.... anyone?

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Alot of people raise them to show.

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Well originally I knew if I had a couple good silkies or banty cochins I would be able to avoid the incubator and just use them as my broodys. That plan while it does work has also backfired, but I won't go there right now.

I also think a lot of folks in less rural areas are drawn to bantys because they fit in better with a smaller yard, sometimes neighbors etc. And then there is the fact that many, many ppl like to buy the eggs to hatch so the bantys can actually make paying the feed bill for the rest of the flock a little easier.....

Just a couple reasons I know of....

Julie [​IMG]

5. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I like the little kid sized eggs [​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I divided my space in half and keep Standard chickens on one side, and bantams on the other. It is alot more work to clean the big bird side, they are messier........eat a TON more.......poop more........trash the yard and garden more....... and they are not as friendly as my bantams are. After having both for a while now, i have decided to only hatch bantams for myself. I dont mind having to crack 2 eggs to equal the one big egg.

7. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Most people just keep them for exhibition and others for their cute little bodies compared to the standards. Others keep them because they require less space and feed. I just keep them because they are just cute and querkie with their little bodies and my little pekin roo doesnt do damage when he attacks my little brother and sister, they say its kinda cute [​IMG] [​IMG] .

Their chicks are also just so shrimpy and short [​IMG]

Exellent broodies tooo!

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I raise banties for pets and eggs, People love the smaller eggs altho some aren't so small, my cochins lay some lunkers. I chose to keep banties because i can have more and they dont make so much of a mess, still a mess but no dog size droppings to step in when going to feed and water them

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I've always kept a few banties around as broodies, and I love using thier eggs to make pickled eggs

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  10. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Half the space twice the fun I say.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by