Why refridgerate?

Omani

Songster
13 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Machias,NY
I was wondering if most people put their eggs in the fridge or not. I have read the threads about washing your eggs( I do if they're dirty, right before I use them). All of the posters say the same thing. Collect eggs, wash eggs( or not), put in fridge.
Is it necessary to keep eggs cold? Only if you wash the bloom off? If you think they might be fertlie? What if your house is too warm..or too cold?
I'm new to all this and only have experience with store bought eggs.

Your choice, really. They will last longer in the fridge, but if they will be eaten in a week or two, and your house is around 75 or 80, there is no need.

Never wash them if your going to leave them on the counter you will wash off the natural bloom that's keeps them bacteria free. I leave mine out for up to two weeks. We eat them up like crazy so I don't worry. IF I'm selling them I always stick them in the fridge but still do not wash them. I just inform whoever is buying them that they need to be washed before using.

I don't wash them, but they go in the fridge after being collected. A friend at work told me that when she was in Africa, many things that we might think "needed" refridgeration - were just sold sitting out - including eggs and she is still alive! LOL

I have to refrigerate a lot of things - including eggs and bread - to keep my cats from eating them off the counter
roll.png
They aren't allowed on the counter, and only go there when I leave food out...... and only when I'm not looking, preferably in the middle of the night.

So to answer your question, yes, I refrigerate my eggs.

So that the toddlers in the house dont think that using them as baseballs is a good idea ... :DIf you do not have toddlers , or cats that might think they were balls left on the counter to play with you should be fine leaving them out . For me I prefer to eat eggs not try to clean them off the floor ...

Bluemoon...know what you mean!!!! we have cats, dogs and parrots...DH baked 2 home made breads of different flavors for work. I left at 4am to go take one of our females dog to get fixed. I get a text at 5am...

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BREAD??? I dont know Im gone!!...Im thinking I put the big dogs out, the cats were out....seems one of our small dogs decided to climb on the kitchen table and eat the covered up bread....

But we leave eggs on the counter in egg cartons and nobody messes with them...for 2wks at a time. Just because I never know when I want to hatch eggs...and take it too much room in the refrig. so I keep 2 in refrig..and rest on counter.

Most people around the world don't refrigerate their eggs. It does keep them fresh longer but they will stay just fine for a month or more on the counter. In my tag info below is a link to an article of keeping eggs without refrigeration.

If my house is cool enough I don't refrigerate for a couple of days. I have one customer that doesn't want refrigerated eggs. My momma taught me that you shouldn't let your eggs sweat. So when not coming from the fridge, you cant keep them out. When refrigerated keep 'em cool. It made for some speedy delivery on my part. I had no ac in my VW bug..... but I don't put them in the fridge till I'm waiting to boil them. I usually sell them before I have to refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom