Why Roosters Look So Different??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolMI, Sep 25, 2011.

1. carolMI

carolMI New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this website. I didn't even know what a Silkie was until last year when I was given 2 to save them from a fox. I have since fallen in love with these cute little birds. Now I have a new coop and a flock of 10. I've had 2 white roosters but they look very different. If they are both Silkie roosters, why do they look so different?? They look like totally different breeds to me. Can anyone educate me? Here's their pics. Thanks. carolMI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I think its just the way silkies are. [​IMG]

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    The top one is more hatchery quality, the one on the bottom is better. It's like the different between buying a ratty black pair of shoes from a thrift store and getting nice dress shoes at a good company. They might both be black shoes, but you can see the difference.

Sorry for the terrible analogy, but I think you get it.

4. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:x2. That explains it better.

5. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    A big part is the quality of the breeding. The one on the bottom looks like it came from a breeder and the other looks like it came from a hatchery. Also, the bottom on is bearded and the other is not, and the bearded ones are always fluffier it seems [​IMG]

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Actually the top one is the non bearded variety and the bottom one is the bearded variety. Silkies come in those two varieties, they also come in a bunch of different colors: white, buff, black, partridge ect.

Good Luck, it has nothing to do with hatchery quality, its how the breed had been maintained.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. carolMI

carolMI New Egg

Sep 25, 2011
    Thank you everyone for explaining this to me. I rescued the Silkie in the top photo so can't say where he came from, but I did buy the Silkie in the bottom pic from a breeder. You're dead-on and what you say makes lots of sense to me. What a great forum - thanks again!!! I'll be checking back often!
    carolMI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by