Why should backyard chickens be allowed in residential neighborhoods?

... Some neighbors take issue with the sounds of playing children.

Don't get me started on kids! :p

I'm one of those people that think that when you live in a populated place, a lot of things are privileges and not rights.

Meaning that I would like towns' and cities' dog and chicken policies to work like this:

We recognize that you have the right to have chickens and dogs, but if you choose to live in the city limits of < name of town here > then having chickens/dogs is a privilege, and you must earn that privilege be educating yourself about responsible ownership, the same as you do if you want the privilege of driving when you turn 16.

If you ignore your barking dog and allow it to bark incessantly, or let your chicken coop get stinky, then your dog or chicken permit is revoked and you loose that privilege.

...but we don't expect that to happen because we have put together a short, easy 2 hour "guide to responsible dog/chicken ownership" course that will educate you so that you understand the problems your neighbors face when your dogs/chickens are not kept in accordance with the exceptions of the community."

Now back to kids.... it probably wouldn't hurt any of us if we all had a little more education on responsible kid ownership too. ;)

quick reply just to say, I am in no way saying that my opinion on these things is the way everyone else should see it.

I'm just offering my point of view to aid discussion, and to help those involved in strengthening the cases being made for backyard chicken ownership.

But again, backyard chicken ownership in a populated place, isn't an issues I've dealt with personally on either side.

I find this discussion very interesting if somewhat baffling. I live in a small country town in Australia and we can keep up to 10 chickens, no rooster, on 'inner city ' residential properties of any size without a permit.
Here in Australia most local Councils allow the keeping of chickens on residential properties, many of which are less than 1/4 acre in size, without a permit. There is generally a limit on the number of birds, most commonly 6-10, no rooster, some have rules as to coop setback from boundaries. The usual rules re noise/smell apply, same as dogs, cats... Some Councils have even gone as far as actively encouraging poultry keeping. I heard a story on the radio about a council in Melbourne teaming up with a rent-a-chook business to give people a chance to 'try before you buy' and get them used to the idea of keeping chickens.
New land release developments are a different story. Developers often impose restriction that go much further than council ordinances, even prohibiting the keeping of any animals, in an effort to make these developments as uniform and soulless as possible.

Last edited:
Ok here is my UPDATED proposal and research. As of last week, our County agreed to move forward drafting a pilot program allowing backyard chickens in various parts of the county. Thank you to everyone for you input, challenges, and support! use this research and information! I hope it helps

Attachments

• Backyard Chickens.pdf
    147.6 KB · Views: 17
FYI, I never had chickens before I had three acres, but this is my two cents.

Most of the arguments against chickens in town are silly, unless the same rules include dogs and other animals. Limits to noise and smell, animals running loose onto public or neighbor spaces, distance from the boundary should all be the same, no matter what animal is involved.

However, I have to object to the 1/4 acre rule. Anyone with access to the internet can find a dozen or more types of chickens who are smaller than parrots and more useful, at least in the egg department. I love parrots, too, but having them indoors is part of the point. I personally know at least eight full-grown men whose chickens who never leave their cages in the garage except to go to shows and win blue ribbons. Their chickens might prefer to be outside in bigger cages and runs, as mine are, but I don't win as many blue ribbons and championships as these guys.

So, who is "appropriate" about how to raise chickens, them or me?

- Why should residential neighborhoods be allowed backyard chickens?

If a residential neighborhood is allowed to have dogs, then chickens should be allowed. It should be a basic human right for every land owner to use his property to raise his own food, within certain restrictions which keep that right from infringing on the rights of his neighbors.

- What regulations do you believe counties should have to help owners maintain healthy lawns, property value, and a healthy flock?

Urban home owners should not be allowed to have more than 6 chickens. Coop and run should provide at least 4 s.f. in coop, and 10 s.f. in run per bird. Roosters should not be allowed. Litter management system should not result in any noticeable odor. Any composting efforts should be done with consideration to adhering to zoning ordinances. (distance from lot lines, wells, perhaps composting should be contained in a bin, tumbler, or otherwise sheltered from neighbor's view.) Coop and run should be placed a certain distance from neighbor's property lines and homes. No roosters. Poultry should not be allowed to free range unless directly supervised. Any incursions onto neighboring properties should result in poultry being confined to coop/run.

- What research have you done that you believe makes the case for backyard chickens?
- Any additional comments?

In a neighborhood where there is less than 1/4 acre per lot, I do not believe that keeping chickens would be appropriate.

Backyard chickens have no place in residential areas. They are noisy, even the hens can wake the dead, forget the roosters.

Nope nope not a good idea, dogs bark and they get brought inside , chickens natter all day ....sorry no support from me
Dogs bark and do NOT get brought inside. They will bark incessantly for hours and hours. I’ve never had s chicken as loud and annoying as a dog.

Back
Top Bottom