Why should I get peacocks?

Well yah, I know they are pretty
smile.png
. Can they lay eggs as much as chickens? Can you show peacocks? And how hard is it to take care of them?

Peacocks are great birds!! Hens will normally lay 6 eggs in a nest and you can take away eggs and she will usually lay another clutch. This is good if you are planning on making a few bucks. The main reason people get them is because of how they are pretty but some do make a little money not much tho. Btw u can't eat them unless you want a 150 dollor meal lol

I too am interested in getting peacocks.

I heard they are noisy and need a lot of space.

Are they easy to care of?
Are they easy to breed?

Oh yah, I have also heard they are destructive...
If its not too much work could you do like a pros and cons list!
big_smile.png

I sure can!! But just letting you know they aren't destructive. Pros: pretty,easily imprinted, entertaining, when they show their feathers'! The many different mutations, are able to free range, will set on their own eggs, easily found, good immune system, and you don't need to feed them slit if you free range! Cons: the screaming(in all honesty it is not THAT loud but can cause problems if neighbors don't like it) lay little amount of eggs, somewhat expensive (a mature grown pair is usually 200$) usually must get them as chicks unless you are prepared to house them for a year at least before allowing to free range (I've lost two peacocks this way I didn't keep then penned long enough)

I sure can!! But just letting you know they aren't destructive. Pros: pretty,easily imprinted, entertaining, when they show their feathers'! The many different mutations, are able to free range, will set on their own eggs, easily found, good immune system, and you don't need to feed them slit if you free range! Cons: the screaming(in all honesty it is not THAT loud but can cause problems if neighbors don't like it) lay little amount of eggs, somewhat expensive (a mature grown pair is usually 200$) usually must get them as chicks unless you are prepared to house them for a year at least before allowing to free range (I've lost two peacocks this way I didn't keep then penned long enough)
2x

I had a peacock once, but he got out accidentally and the dog chased him off. (We got rid of that dog the same day. :))
Last year my neighbor offered me another one that was in her yard, but I heard that they would destroy your car. ??? We didn't take him. :(

Why don't those with questions head on over to the Peafowl section where you should start by reading all of the stickies. You definitely should do your research before getting then, and to even see if peafowl are the right fit for you.

Back
Top Bottom