Why should I hatch Quail?

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, reading on the history of these guys, silkies were exactly they used for hundreds of years. The domesticated quail kind of lost their taste for broodiness!

Yeppers same thing i read! First time i ever mentioned that on a post people acted like i was making it up. But yes the chinese or the japanese (i thnk the japanese) used none other than silkies for their coturnix hatching.
big_smile.png
Some say silkies would break the eggs but an experienced hen would dowell with them esp since SOME coturnix eggs are as large as bantam eggs !LOL!

YAY! More in the coturnix dark sideeee
lau.gif

Niki, you are the evil emperor er... emperoress
smile.png
Yes, more and more, Lets convert them to the dark side. PS, the quail I picked up from the breeder down in Milan are hatching already. Doesn't seem the car ride effected them. When I pick up established laying hens, it seems to take a few days for them to start producing again .

Welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Oh YES!!! ANOTHER ONE!!!!
wee.gif
They are wonderful birds and easy to care for. I'd highly recommend a cage with 1/2" hardware cloth (1/4" when young) and a tray for easy cleaning because they poop ALOT. But you'll also get a ton of eggs and the meat is fantastic. Just look what you can do with them!!!

DSC03833.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

Personally, I think the itsy deviled eggs are just too cute, lol. I hope to goodness that my birds decide to lay before our neighbors throw their "block party". I REALLY want to take tiny deviled eggs and maybe some pickled eggs from the buttons.
big_smile.png

Quote:
CINDY THOSE EGGS ARE HUUUUUUUGEEEEEE!!!!
th.gif

well I know where I'll be getting my future replenishing Jumbo brown stock from
big_smile.png

Quote:
yeah yeah i know im evill
big_smile.png

yeppers i've been told and notice most hens do seem to hold off on laying for a few days after a change. Longest I ever waited was something like 3 weeks urgh LOL!

Back
Top Bottom