Sponsored Post Why should you care about worms in your birds? What can you do about them?

Great thread. I have used DE since I got my first day-old chicks, years ago. Once or twice a year, I put some in a tub and dust-bathe each of my 14 layers. It's fun, and when they preen, they "eat" some. I occasionally put some in their feed. I now have 35, 8-week-olds -- a few will become layers and the rest, meat -- first time :( -- I sprinkle DE where they walk and rest and forage. I might try to dust-bathe them - oh boy! I use electrolytes in their water, but no chemicals or antibiotics. All 49 are happy, healthy, feisty chickens.

I'm now going to use an Igloo, 2-gallon, thermos with a new device attached to it called BriteTap! (see pics). It will be on top of a large, inverted plastic bin to elevate it and they will enjoy ice water from that all summer - nipple system, of course! I can put tepid or warm water in it during the winter as well, but I'm also adding ACV to it (by recipe) to keep them healthy AND to keep the water from getting hinky!
Using a cooler with a BriteTap is such a brilliant and simple idea! I'm going to grab one of my DH's unused coolers and get that in the run ASAP.

Sand keeps their coop clean, pleasant smelling and their feet nice and clean too! Just make sure you get the correct type or your birds will die...literally. :(

Hi Linda V, I like your idea about using sand but would like to know what is the 'correct' sand to use as you mentioned above. Thanks for any help.

Does anyone use any essential Oils? Like Thyme and Oregano, a couple of drops in the chickens water. This is Natures Anti Biotic, that humans have used in the past, (before all the pills/Meds from big Pharms) grand parents great and great great grand parents used to use them, (The Bible talks about/References them many many times throughout) as a all natural anti-biotic with zero side effects, as it is Anti Microbial, Anti Fungal, anti bacterial properties, Killing most Parasitic problems. Purdue Claims they use this in their chickens water, they are a free range organic chicken producer. They claim they dont use any Anti-Biotics because they use Oregano and Thyme Essential Oil's, these are concentrated and are a Healthy Natural choice. Personally, I am very into Ancient Healing that Works, all the plants and herbs are here for a reason, each one having its own specific job. I never use advil or any pain killers for my self as i dont need to and haven't for years. Anti Biotics drop your immune systems ability to protect you, and drop it to a very low level for a whole year, so your immune system would have a hard time killing anything that is gaining strength. I am only as healthy as what I eat, eats.

Last edited:
Tisqua: I'm a huge fan of chicken-grade DE too! But, I read many articles by experienced chicken farmers, etc., of the additional benefits of using the correct type of SAND in the coop, so we put a good 8" sand foundation down in the lower part of our coop AND I also put sand in the bottom of the roosting drawer so each a.m, I use a kitty litter scoop to quickly and easily de-coop the poop and I also mix DE into the drawer and the bottom of the coop so when they do their sand baths they get it all!

To keep them cool in summer, I remove the normal shavings from their nests and replace it with the special sand with a touch of DE...they love it!

Sand keeps their coop clean, pleasant smelling and their feet nice and clean too! Just make sure you get the correct type or your birds will die...literally. :(

I'm now going to use an Igloo, 2-gallon, thermos with a new device attached to it called BriteTap! (see pics). It will be on top of a large, inverted plastic bin to elevate it and they will enjoy ice water from that all summer - nipple system, of course! I can put tepid or warm water in it during the winter as well, but I'm also adding ACV to it (by recipe) to keep them healthy AND to keep the water from getting hinky!

Additionally, I'm going to mix ACV, dishwashing liquid & water in a large, spray bottle and will clean the coop, etc., with this a few times each week to kill and prevent lice, etc., from setting up a home!

Some put me down for holistic/natural/homeopathic remedies, but the lady who I learned this from has a website online and has decades of hands-on experience with these things and has NEVER had health issues from parasites!

Also...Tractor Supply sells packets of electrolytes & vitamins you add to their water as well and it's not only dirt cheap, but 1 pkg lasts forever if you have two hens like we do!

My girls will also get a large area of their 14-foot run of pure, hardwood ash from our firepit (no chems) along with a bit of DE added for their sooty-baths!

Lastly, I'll be adding fresh, minced garlic to their diet each day to get mites, etc., from staying on them and returning to them

Check out these pics of the new drinking system and thanks for posting your message. It's nice to know there are a few DE fans out there...lol! :)

View attachment 1044390 View attachment 1044391 View attachment 1044392 View attachment 1044393

give them garlic free choice only. force feeding garlic could kill your chickens.

I do give garlic to my chickens but 2-3 times per month only.

Keeping chickens from digging in the ground during the Fla summer is not possible.
What is the best sand to use? Coarse, fine paving ?

Thanks for the good tips

Does anyone use any essential Oils? Like Thyme and Oregano, a couple of drops in the chickens water. This is Natures Anti Biotic, that humans have used in the past, (before all the pills/Meds from big Pharms) grand parents great and great great grand parents used to use them, (The Bible talks about/References them many many times throughout) as a all natural anti-biotic with zero side effects, as it is Anti Microbial, Anti Fungal, anti bacterial properties, Killing most Parasitic problems. Purdue Claims they use this in their chickens water, they are a free range organic chicken producer. They claim they dont use any Anti-Biotics because they use Oregano and Thyme Essential Oil's, these are concentrated and are a Healthy Natural choice. Personally, I am very into Ancient Healing that Works, all the plants and herbs are here for a reason, each one having its own specific job. I never use advil or any pain killers for my self as i dont need to and haven't for years. Anti Biotics drop your immune systems ability to protect you, and drop it to a very low level for a whole year, so your immune system would have a hard time killing anything that is gaining strength. I am only as healthy as what I eat, eats.
Goodness me!I used Oregino Oil in my hens water when she has sour and impacted crop!

Great thread. I have used DE since I got my first day-old chicks, years ago. Once or twice a year, I put some in a tub and dust-bathe each of my 14 layers. It's fun, and when they preen, they "eat" some. I occasionally put some in their feed. I now have 35, 8-week-olds -- a few will become layers and the rest, meat -- first time :( -- I sprinkle DE where they walk and rest and forage. I might try to dust-bathe them - oh boy! I use electrolytes in their water, but no chemicals or antibiotics. All 49 are happy, healthy, feisty chickens.
Have you had fecals done on any of your chickens poo ever?

I've been having good results using diatomaceous earth. When the coop/hen house gets cleaned, it gets generously sprinkled on the hay and in the nests. Once every four months, I mix some food grade diatomaceous earth with their food. This method is working very well for my four girls.
Have you had your birds poop ever tested for worm loads?

Back
Top Bottom