Why so many post on hawk arrack?

I think the main reason for all the hawk post is that people think it's easier to replace birds than prevent attacks, no other reason for it. If you want to protect your birds from hawks, then all you have to do is protect them properly from the hawks, seems pretty easy and it is.

We have always had red tails around here, but never seen them so BRAVE before. Like flying right through my yard at eye level, right in front of my face. And one came and sat right on one of my chickens pens. Ours are covered with heavy plastic extruded web and he did not get in, and the chickens are never out without supervision.

There seems to be more here also this winter. I lost my youngest hen last week. The rest of the flock seemed pretty freaked out and did not leave the coop for two days after.

There seems to be more here also this winter. I lost my youngest hen last week. The rest of the flock seemed pretty freaked out and did not leave the coop for two days after.

I lost my best hen the day after Christmas to a Red-Tailed Hawk. My flock still hasn't left the house.

I lost my best hen the day after Christmas to a Red-Tailed Hawk. My flock still hasn't left the house.

Yep, Red-Tailed - gorgeous but deadly. Mine usually would take days and then hang out right outside the house or tractor and then any little sound or even a wren flying by would send them all running back in.

Hawks only bother chickens if they free range, best thing to do is have you chickens caged is chicken wire, hawks won't swoop down inside the cage, even if you don't have chicken wire on the roof/top, they think they will get caught inside. If you have chickens caged they wont bother them, also foxes hate going inside cages they fear they will be caged also and can't get out...

Remeber, the only animale hawks poop there pants are humans.. So watch you chickens!

Last edited:
Hawks only bother chickens if they free range, best thing to do is have you chickens caged is chicken wire, hawks won't swoop down inside the cage, even if you don't have chicken wire on the roof/top, they think they will get caught inside. If you have chickens caged they wont bother them, also foxes hate going inside cages they fear they will be caged also and can't get out...

Remeber, the only animale hawks poop there pants are humans.. So watch you chickens!

I beg to differ. I watched a fox try and dig it's way into my chicken pen. It had no fear of that fencing at all! Also had hawks swoop into pens before too.

In my experience this is serious misinformation. Open topped chicken pens is an invitation to a chicken buffet. I have had hawks enter coops through 'chicken' doors, and I have had hawks and GHO enter pigeon lofts through the bobs. If they are hungry they fear next to nothing.

Welcome to BYC, I live in Jonesville now, but am from W-S and work there. We had a Cooper's Hawk get into out coop, but it was chasing a small bird and became confused. We live on 20 acres and luckily our Hawks are catching rodents on some land we had sawmilled. You are right about seeing birds, I usually see tons of cardnials, but not this year! Interesting........

I am filling up four feeders twice a day and have three suet baskets going. The birds are all over - Cardinals, indigo buntings, blue birds, warblers, finches, wrens, chickadees, pileated and woody woodpeckers etc. My indoor cats are always planted at a window - especially in the winter.
Hawks are all over, along with turkey vultures.

Back
Top Bottom