why stopped laying in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ollyc2k, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Ollyc2k

Ollyc2k New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    I have 8 healthy pullets same age and all been laying since the summer. Recently I notice one of my leghorn stop using the nest box(2 total) she has been laying outside in the run under the coop for last two weeks now. Why all the sudden would she stop using the nest?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That is odd. Has there been any changes made to your coop? Perhaps one of the other hens could be bullying her and keeping her from using the nest boxes. I'm sorry, I haven't had this happen before so I am just guessing. Maybe another member has an answer.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Sometimes mine will do that if I clean the house and nests out, and if one does it, sometimes they will all move. ugh! I have one now determined to make a nest under the roosts! I keep digging up the nests and putting large objects where she wants to nest. Yesterday the eggs were back in the nest.

mrs. k

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I'm new to this chicken stuff too. Today we found one egg under the roost, which I don't think was there this morning when we opened the door. DH, however, commented early when he was checking on them that the nest boxes were all occupied and one chicken was "in line" in the coop. Maybe your girl faced a similar situation? All the nest boxes were full and she had the urge? Just a thought...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by