Why such high temp suggestions for ducklings?

HeatherMo

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
90-95 degrees when new than 5 degrees less every week after that. I’m relatively new to the duck world but this is my second round of babies and from the beginning the heat lamp makes them too hot. I like to take them outside when I get home from work and let them swim in fresh cool water from the hose. They never seem cold, they love it, easy time getting in and out and full of energy for at least an hour. Contrary to what I’ve read. Anyone else experience the same?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 34
I've raised ducklings from two days onwards with no heat source during the summer. They never seemed chilled.

Yes! Yet my research says otherwise. It’s about 75 degrees outside at the moment and they are swimming in very cool water and they are happy as can be. 10 days old.

My moulards were soo cold they cried at 2 weeks old and 90 degrees, They demanded 95 degrees for 3 weeks

My pekins panted because they were so hot at 85 degrees at 2 weeks old

Start warm and let the ducks show you if they are too warm or cold, The guidlines are just a good starting point

Also, Having room for the ducklings to get away from the lamp lets them regulate their body temps

My ducks get heat lamps for the first two-three days, after which they're kept outside in a wire run. I bring them inside at night for about two weeks after that, and then they're on their own, heatwise.

I’ve never had a thermometer to detect temps. The temps I read seem high to me as well- I just put a heat lamp over them and adjust as they seem hot or cold. Most often it is too hot for them even with the lamp far away- and the last time for me was in the spring time in Michigan aka NOT hot outside. Just pay attention to whatever makes them comfortable :)

I think you've got to consider the outside temperature. It's summer now and the temps are warm/hot in most places so depending on where you are you adjust.

This is why I only hatch in the warm/hot months so I don't need to worry about the heat lamps as much although I make sure they have a light source for warmth at least at night for a week or so.

@Jpat lives in Nova Scotia which is a totally different climate from Georgia so it's completely different for him plus he hatches year-round. I'm just too lazy to do that!

Back
Top Bottom