1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why wait two weeks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rstampa, Dec 5, 2009.

1. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    I went up to the feed store today to buy a few things that I needed. While I was there I mentioned that I got my first egg today. The salesman said that I shouldn't eat the eggs for the first 2 weeks. He said it is well know fact.
    I have never hear of this before. Can anyone please advise me on this and if it's true why not eat the eggs.
    Thank you all.
    [​IMG]

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Unless you are medicating your chickens with some kind of chemical, there is nothing wrong with the eggs. I don't know what the feed store guy is talking about - I've never heard of not eating eggs for the first two weeks. Maybe he thought you were medicating them - that's the only reason I can think of for someone giving you that advice.

3. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I don't believe that. i have eaten 1000's of eggs right out of the nest for years. Eat um up!

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Silly Old Wive's Tale.
    Or Ignorant Young Feedstore Guy Tale, if you prefer.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's the only thought that went through my head too. Did you mention to him that you'd recently wormed them or something???

6. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Eat 'em, there is no "wait" period. Congratulations on your first egg!! Woohoo! [​IMG]

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I ate them the first two weeks. I guess I died and nobody told me yet. Nothing to it.

8. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    My girls haven't been laying well, just finishing molting, so some days the eggs go right from the chicken to the frying pan ☺

9. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    He's full of it---eat those eggs! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's an old wives tale. My dyed-in-the-wool country boy DH was the same way when I got my first eggs. You'd think DH would have known better; after all this farm was a commercial chicken operation at one time. [​IMG]
    Pullet eggs are fine to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by