Why was did my pullet’s first egg not have a shell?

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
I was exited to get my first pullet egg this morning, but so hastily went to pick it up that I went straight through it, to find no shell. All my chickens get layers’ food and oyster shell grit on top, so I’d think that she’d have enough calcium, but may be wrong, as I could not get their normal food, so had to get pellets which they don't really seem to like. I feed them corn on top to encourage them to eat it.
Has this happened because it is her first egg, or is there something I should do? I’m going to buy the old food, and may just mix in the pellets to use them up.
Thanks
P.S sorry I have no photo, but as I said I went straight through the egg.

Hi, Pullet eggs are often strange, don't worry about it unless it happens a lot. :]
Don't put the scratch on top of their food, they'll just pick it off and leave the food. I wouldn't give them scratch at all for a while, they'll eat their food when they're hungry enough, chickens can be snobs. Oyster shell and grit should be in separate containers so they can take what they need , grit especially, since it doesn't add nutrition, it's just ground up rock. :]

Hi, Pullet eggs are often strange, don't worry about it unless it happens a lot. :]
Don't put the scratch on top of their food, they'll just pick it off and leave the food. I wouldn't give them scratch at all for a while, they'll eat their food when they're hungry enough, chickens can be snobs. Oyster shell and grit should be in separate containers so they can take what they need , grit especially, since it doesn't add nutrition, it's just ground up rock. :]
Thanks, I was hoping for that answer :)!
Sorry, when I said on top, I didn’t mean physically, rather as well as.
I’ll keep a lookout tomorrow to see if she lays again. Thanks about the food, it saves me the money for not having to get new food until they eat the pellets. My adult hens stopped laying bar one when I changed food, so should I let them get used to it or give them the old stuff?

I’ll keep a lookout tomorrow to see if she lays again. Thanks about the food, it saves me the money for not having to get new food until they eat the pellets. My adult hens stopped laying bar one when I changed food, so should I let them get used to it or give them the old stuff?
It's odd that they stopped like that, it might not be the food. It's up to you if you want to change it back, mixing might be the best way. Mine don't like pellets either, just crumbles.

Do you typically offer mixed grain instead of pellet?

If so, be aware that while the'mix' may be a full balanced diet, it being separate gives them the option to pick and choose what they eat out if it.

Just like humans, chickens don't always make the right nutrition choices. Also, those lower in the pecking order may be missing out on the more desirable bits as they're being eaten before they get a turn at the feeder. I find hybrid layers in particular are very sensitive to nutrition due to their egg a day self-torture and do best on a feed where they can't pick and choose.

Remember, treats should only be 5% of a laying hen's diet. A bit if corn scratch in colder weather(it warms them up when being digested). A few extra high-protein treats around molt (like mealworms or soldier fly larvae) something vitamin-rich and refreshing over summer (like watermelon or berries), can give them a bit of extra support for those seasonal variances, but don't overdo it.

With pullets, everything is starting up for the first time and there can be misfires. I wouldn't worry about shell quality unless it was a deviation from the norm. Your pullet won't have a norm just yet - give her a week to set into laying first with a few eggs under her belt.

Do you typically offer mixed grain instead of pellet?

If so, be aware that while the'mix' may be a full balanced diet, it being separate gives them the option to pick and choose what they eat out if it.

Just like humans, chickens don't always make the right nutrition choices. Also, those lower in the pecking order may be missing out on the more desirable bits as they're being eaten before they get a turn at the feeder. I find hybrid layers in particular are very sensitive to nutrition due to their egg a day self-torture and do best on a feed where they can't pick and choose.

Remember, treats should only be 5% of a laying hen's diet. A bit if corn scratch in colder weather(it warms them up when being digested). A few extra high-protein treats around molt (like mealworms or soldier fly larvae) something vitamin-rich and refreshing over summer (like watermelon or berries), can give them a bit of extra support for those seasonal variances, but don't overdo it.

With pullets, everything is starting up for the first time and there can be misfires. I wouldn't worry about shell quality unless it was a deviation from the norm. Your pullet won't have a norm just yet - give her a week to set into laying first with a few eggs under her belt.
Thanks, they do normally get mixed grains, but they were laying more when they were on it, they are coming into moult now though, so that might be the reason they haven’t started again.

Any suggestions to an alternative for the larvae, as it is illegal to give them them dried in the uk and I don’t farm my own. I could get some from a pet shop.

oh my hens hate layer feed so we get this nice mix of grains for free ranging hens and that could be problem because none of my pullets have started laying but it had ground up oyster shell and big chunks of it too

Thanks, they do normally get mixed grains, but they were laying more when they were on it, they are coming into moult now though, so that might be the reason they haven’t started again.

Any suggestions to an alternative for the larvae, as it is illegal to give them them dried in the uk and I don’t farm my own. I could get some from a pet shop.
Anything high protein there are poultry branded 'moulting' tonics that give a bit of a boost - insane that you can't offer dried bugs tho. Mealworms are 'very' easy to raise, and probably the tidiest, if you want to give that a go. A small plastic box full of rolled oats and a few potato slices is all it takes. I have mine in a plastic shoebox and that's plenty of room. Some people use those plastic desk shelves so they can cycle the beetles, pupa and worms into separate containers to produce in bulk, but it doesn't need to be so elaborate. I do split off the beetles and pupa, but only into smaller tupperwares - doesn't even need a lid - they don't escape if the walls are high enough.

Soldier fly larvae are relatively cheap as far as feeders go, but I haven't tried breeding them. I buy them a thousand at a time as I keep frogs and a beardie too - they're a great source of calcium and protein.

When I was raising SLWs, I offered them dried flaked salmon cat/dog treats and they loved it. Since they were a heavy breed, the breeder recommended that they did better with supplemental protein and everyone grew up happy, though 5 out of 7 ended up being roos.

Even cat kibble is good in a pinch and hard boiled egg. - this is pretty much our songbird mix at bird rescue, shell and all and the insectivore supplement there is made with lamb meal.. go figure.

As omnivores, you can even give them meat scraps - tho I'd cook it first and use no salt if it's from your plate. My girls love picking a pork hock tho...

Anything high protein there are poultry branded 'moulting' tonics that give a bit of a boost - insane that you can't offer dried bugs tho. Mealworms are 'very' easy to raise, and probably the tidiest, if you want to give that a go. A small plastic box full of rolled oats and a few potato slices is all it takes. I have mine in a plastic shoebox and that's plenty of room. Some people use those plastic desk shelves so they can cycle the beetles, pupa and worms into separate containers to produce in bulk, but it doesn't need to be so elaborate. I do split off the beetles and pupa, but only into smaller tupperwares - doesn't even need a lid - they don't escape if the walls are high enough.

Soldier fly larvae are relatively cheap as far as feeders go, but I haven't tried breeding them. I buy them a thousand at a time as I keep frogs and a beardie too - they're a great source of calcium and protein.

When I was raising SLWs, I offered them dried flaked salmon cat/dog treats and they loved it. Since they were a heavy breed, the breeder recommended that they did better with supplemental protein and everyone grew up happy, though 5 out of 7 ended up being roos.

Even cat kibble is good in a pinch and hard boiled egg. - this is pretty much our songbird mix at bird rescue, shell and all and the insectivore supplement there is made with lamb meal.. go figure.

As omnivores, you can even give them meat scraps - tho I'd cook it first and use no salt if it's from your plate. My girls love picking a pork hock tho...
Thanks, I might give raising mealworms a go.

I wanted to share that I have 6 pullets that started laying last month .1st I got one egg then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 until yesterday .When I checked the nest box yesterday I found a perfectly shaped rubbery looking "egg" with no shell (lash egg) It had a cheesy substance stuck to it so I tossed the disgusting looking thing in the woods (I've seen pictures of these before) Well this morning I found a normal looking egg yolk and white laying in the nest box and it didn't look as if any of the hens had eaten the shell.I'm putting my chickens back on their normal brand of crumbles today and won't be feeding them pellets again.I'm also giving my chickens electrolytes,oil of oregano and plantain water for infection.No doubt changing their feed causes them a lot of stress ,my chickens have never refused food. (they've never laid a lash egg before either).If your hens aren't showing any sign of illness and you know nothing is wrong with the feed I suggest you try fermenting the pellets to motivate them to eat it. My chickens won't eat these pellets unless they're fermented.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom