Why was my hatch rate only 50 %

joshua k

Chirping
Dec 8, 2021
I have a Nurture Right 360 incubator and I have fertilized eggs from my chicken coop but only 50 % hatched? I cant figure out why only half hatched
Large, zoomable image of Manna Pro Harris Farms Nurture Right Egg Incubator. 1 of 8

I've never used an incubator, so I don't really know what exactly could've gone wrong. Did they all develop (but not all hatch) or did 50% of the eggs fail to do anything?

I've never used an incubator, so I don't really know what exactly could've gone wrong. Did they all develop (but not all hatch) or did 50% of the eggs fail to do anything?
I opened up all of the eggs that did not hatch and two out of the ten were fully developed but dead and the other 8 were undeveloped.

I opened up all of the eggs that did not hatch and two out of the ten were fully developed but dead and the other 8 were undeveloped.
I read a few reviews and it seems like a good incubator, however some people are complaining of temperature inconsistency. Perhaps that's what happened to the underdeveloped ones. As for the fully developed but failed to hatch ones, it's happened to me a fair amount of times (I use a broody hen). I think that can be caused by incorrect humidity levels.

Like I said, I'm pretty green when it comes to hatching chicks! I figured I throw out a few guesses anyway, hopefully someone with more experience will jump in and help us both.

Sounds like some of them weren’t fertilized for whatever reason and the other two, sometimes chicks just die. That said, you could try putting in a separate thermometer and hygrometer in there to make sure the temperature and humidity are actually accurate. Sometimes incubators can be off. That could be why they didn’t develop if you’re sure they were fertilized.

they were fertile on like day six but then after I opened them up and lok they looked like they died on day 8-12 ish

Sounds like some of them weren’t fertilized for whatever reason and the other two, sometimes chicks just die. That said, you could try putting in a separate thermometer and hygrometer in there to make sure the temperature and humidity are actually accurate. Sometimes incubators can be off. That could be why they didn’t develop if you’re sure they were fertilized.
I did do a hydrometer at the begining and the temp and H were right so I don't know

Back
Top Bottom