why wont my banties go far from the coop but my standards will?

lcw1995

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Marysville Ohio
i had a flock of standards last year. black australorp and ee's. i never could find them because they were always down in the back woods scratching around and what ever.

well i got rid of them middle of last year and got some banties. as of now i have a danver, oegb, modern game, cochin, pyncheon, and a mutt or two.well they dont go anywhere. the standards last year more often then not were 200-500 yards away from the coop. the banties i have currently are lucky to go 10 yards.

i dont really have a problem with that, i just enjoyed seeing the standards scratching around in the woods. theyre are woods like 20 yards be hind my coop but im lucky to see the banties go there 1 time every month. it would be nice to see them go in the woods and scratch around and what have you but they just wont.

do you think that there is any reason for that
like i said its not a problem i just wanted to know why

also if this is common among banties is there a breed that ranges for them others

thanks for the help

cole

Banties don't range as far from my experience. I call it being smart because they are hawkbait, LOL!!

love.gif
I love bantams.

yeah i guess that makes sense.
alright, heres something i forgot to add in the first post.

my step grandfather has a coop about 20 yards, if that away from my coop. he has standards and banties in there.
the banties in HIS coop range further then the standards do over there. see, my coop is by the woods.. his coop is closer to the house. about, im gonna say 50 yards from the house. HIS banties go over to the house, and in the backyard and all over.

idk if that makes a difference, just throwin that out there.

so your saying there really isint a breed of bantie that likes to go far? i mean, i wouldnve thought that banties would go further cause theyre smaller, faster and can fly???

Well I don't know anything more really than what I told you, but I can say that the woods behind our house is "death" for our chickens.

The hawks hide in the trees and the owls do too. So if during the day, they are in danger from hawks. Near nightfall the owls swoop down and try to catch them. They dive into a bush to escape the attack.

The bravest bantams I have had were Nankins, but even they didn't go in the woods like the large fowl. They went around the house.

Now there was a breed called Campines that I had once...the hens were smallish but not bantam. They flew like ducks. Oh my! Up and over 10 foot high fence and all the way to the forest in one flight. They were fearless and went vertical during a cat attack.

This is really all still making sense about being smarter, and knowing they are more vulnerable to hawks because of size. But to see it, I think you have to think of it as "security place" in general, not "coop" in specific. People are "security." Places to hide quickly are "security."

The other's persons coop is closer to their house, closer to people and people's big place to hide. Your open field and scary woods are not security places

Campines.....I think spangled Hamburgs are one of the most gorgeous chickens....but I'd not dream of trying to have them where I didn't have plenty of open range and relatively low predation risk.

frow.gif
Oh hi, I just realized looking at your avatar that you are the one with the beautiful Nankin girl that you (I believe?) rescued. I remember your thread!

Thanks for indulging a side note, lcw!

Yep, that's me. And yep, my avatar picture, that's her. Lol. I'm working on getting some bantams,,,pretty sure Nankinds, think they;ll be fun. And with bad predation prob;ems here, I have a solid little building I can raise them inside where safe.

frow.gif
Oh hi, I just realized looking at your avatar that you are the one with the beautiful Nankin girl that you (I believe?) rescued. I remember your thread!

Thanks for indulging a side note, lcw!

Back
Top Bottom