Why won't my chickens eat lettuce or any other greens besides grass?

Txboi83

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas
Ok I've been trying to get my pullets that are eight weeks old to eat lettuce, apples, watermelon. But they won't touch it? Does anyone have any advice for me? They do eat grass but I've heard that leafy greens are good for them. Should I just keep giving them lettuce till they eat it?
Thanks in advance

They won't eat newer foods right away they tend to take some time, and others dive right in. you can't rush them if they turn their noses up at foods they don't know. Plus they are a bit to young to be used to and smart enough about all the different treats as older birds. so take your time and relax they may come around when not forced or expected to. At 8 wks pld I would just stick with regular feed, you don't want to ruin them and start force feeding treats so early, I know many on here love to start feeding all kinds of goofy weird stuff straight out of the incubator, but it really helps the birds to wait a little longer before spoiling them rotten.

Last edited:
Also I don't know if this has anything with it but they have a 30 lb. feed that is always full so they can free feed the reason I'm trying to get them to eat it is because they don't get to free range everyday so I'm trying to get them to eat some greens because I see other peoples chickens on YouTube devour lettuce am I the only one with chickens that won't eat lettuce?

I had the same frustration as I would dump out a whole bag of greens that were beyond what my kids would eat. I spinkle them around, space of all to dive in. Many raced over; none ate! UGH!

So I reserve the greens for the new ducks: ripping up lettuce over the little sand-box sized pond and the little quackers devour ever morsel. After a few weeks of this, the chickens now run to the "pond" and steal from the ducks only if it is grass but never for lettuce.

As long as someone eats the lettuce and it's not wasted . . .
wink.png

I do find how hungry they are does play a part in trying new things. Just like children! LOL

Quote:
Nope, my gals won't touch the stuff either.

My 2 yr olds will eat pretty much anything but lettuce. My 5 months old are very picky and they won't eat as much a variety as my 2 yrs olds do. It's weird.

A great treat that I know they do like is when I have a can of peas, carrots, green beans, etc... that is getting close to the best buy date or even over the best buy date (you know, the one can that disappears in the back of the cupboard, lol)..... they LOVE when I scatter that can of veggies on the ground. I realize they like cooked items more than raw... go figure.

My daughter is a picky eater also so I'm used to it.
gig.gif

~Tammy

My chickens eat lots of stuff out of a treat bowl, but won't touch greens or broccoli, even if I cut it up small. If I tie these things to the fence though, they love it, will even fight over it. They seem to like tearing it apart and they can't do that if it's in a bowl. I just hang it upside down, tie it with a piece of twine, and it's gone in minutes.

Quote:
Nope, my gals won't touch the stuff either.

My 2 yr olds will eat pretty much anything but lettuce. My 5 months old are very picky and they won't eat as much a variety as my 2 yrs olds do. It's weird.

A great treat that I know they do like is when I have a can of peas, carrots, green beans, etc... that is getting close to the best buy date or even over the best buy date (you know, the one can that disappears in the back of the cupboard, lol)..... they LOVE when I scatter that can of veggies on the ground. I realize they like cooked items more than raw... go figure.

My daughter is a picky eater also so I'm used to it.
gig.gif

~Tammy

My chickens hate lettuce as well. They won't touch the stuff.

My chickens just hate lettuce. I gave them some and they shook their heads and acted like I gave them something disgusting! But they loved watermelon and apples.......Give them time.....Sometimes the younger ones are literally afraid to peck something new and different.

Back
Top Bottom