Why won't my hens use the indoor roost?

Quote:
I have heard this. I use a 2x2 but when we build our new coop I'm going to use 2x4's flat!! I've heard it's better on their feet and when it's cold they can sit on them better!!
idunno.gif

Our chickens are 7 weeks old & the 2x2 roost is temporary. We intend to put in 2-2x4 roosts (flat) when they get a little older & need more room.

Quote:
lau.gif
2x4's were not wide enough for my flock. They sleep on a 10 and 12 inch shelf. They still love to snuggle in a pile.

Chickens will tend to use the same nestbox because they like to build communal nests. If the eggs were fertile, in due time a clutch would build up and as soon as there are enough eggs in one nest, one of the hens would claim it and start to set the eggs. Hatch rate is higher when the eggs are fresher, so it really makes sense to do it this way.

As an example, bantams like the ones we have begin to sit on a nest when there are about 6 eggs in it. If a hen tried to lay that many eggs all by herself, it would take her more than a week. But if she has three sisters and they help out, the nest has 6 eggs in it in only 2 or 3 days, and the eggs are that much fresher and likely to hatch.

I think a bit different. Put them all over the place where you want them to roost. I have them all over the run. Good luck I agree with the post in the coop take the long one out and put little ones in the run.
102768_dscn1147.jpg

102768_dscn1148.jpg

102768_dscn1149.jpg

102768_dscn1152.jpg

Thanks again guys!
As to the question about whether the roost is over the nest: it's near the nests but not really over them. I hope that's not the problem.
As to changing the type of roost, since the outdoor roost is made of the same material as the indoor one, and they seem to love it, I think I'll just keep the indoor one the same and take out the outdoor one for the winter.

Update: I took out the outdoor roost and the ladies are all roosting indoors now! Thanks everyone!

I do have a problem with that though: on the nights when it gets very cold, I'd like to put a heat lamp on them, but the indoor area is too small for four birds and a heat lamp. Does anyone have a rule of thumb they follow for putting heat on your birds in the cold? I mean, is there a temperature limit that when it gets below, you try to heat them? It rarely gets below freezing here in Portland, but I'm looking at a low of 31 for this Sunday. I'd like to prevent frostbite without being too much of a worrywart.

caf.gif
old.gif
thumbsup.gif
Depends on what breed of chickens you have but as long as they have a place to get in where there isn't a breeze,It is vented so that the moisture can get out,they are fed and their is no moisture your chickens will be fine in the cold weather.As a matter of fact if you put heat in the coop there is a greater chance of doing harm than if you let nature take care of itself.They will be just fine:weee:cd

Thank you! Yes, I was concerned with the risks of a heat lamp. Fire, contact burns. I'd rather just let them warm themselves, while hoping to avoid frostbite.

P.S., heavy, fluffy breeds. See my sig.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom