why won't she hatch????? pleaseee help!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kookykate328, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kookykate328

kookykate328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    it is day 23 and i have a golden laced wyandotte egg that was peeping very loudly and moving last night and pipped and we think she started zipping. now it is 8:15 am and still no hatching. she also isnt peeping or moving anymore. is she ok???? should i help her??????

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Maybe she has dried out. What's the humidity? Raise it up a bit.

3. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Sounds like the membranes around her may be drying out. So you might want to raise the humidity a bit otherwise she won't be able to move and will die from exhaustion. If it has been 8 hours i suppose you could try helping her out. (Very controversial topic on Byc). I personally would just increase the humidity and wait for longer. I don't think it will hram her if you raise it quite a bit as she has already pipped and the water won't condense so she shouldn't drown.

As long as her beak is clear of membranes and the membranes are not dry she should be fine to hatch out herself.

If you help her make sure to take the egg into a humid environment eg the bathroom with the shower running. Then work away slowly and if any blood appears stop for a couple of hours before starting again.

Hope she gets out ok.

4. BeckyandHerBrood

BeckyandHerBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    Definitely a controversial topic around here...But, I would help. If the membrane is dry it will not be able to get out and will die (so close to being hatched). My personal experience has been that if you wait too long they are really weak from the struggle. If you don't wait long enough the yolk sack will not be absorbed. I would say take the egg out and listen for peeping and movement, check the membrane to see if it is dry, if it is, get a really warm damp washcloth and use it to soften the membrane. Then slowly pick at the shell, to help it zip. Get it open just enough that it is easy for the chick to get out on its own. Then put it back in the incubator and let it finish the process. If there is blood stop immediately...I actually had one bleed quite a bit and I used quick stop (the stuff for dogs nails) to stop the bleeding. Good luck. There is nothing worse than seeing them get this far and then not finish hatching.

5. kookykate328

Jun 25, 2011
    this morning when we finally decided to help she was already dead [​IMG]

6. BeckyandHerBrood

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    I am so sorry to hear that. Did you get any chicks?

7. kookykate328

Jun 25, 2011
    we got 5 out of the 20 we started with

8. BeckyandHerBrood

Jun 20, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    At least you got 5. I managed 6 out of 16 shipped eggs on my second try, but had to help 3 of them out of their shells. What incubator did you use? We had an LG with added fans and had a really hard time with humidity. When I opened mine I had 2 that were infertile, 3 that died earlier on, and 5 that were shrink wrapped in tight dry membranes. I am glad that I helped those 3. It is SO sad when it doesn't work out well. I doubt that I will even try again. Do you think that you will?

9. kookykate328

Jun 25, 2011
    i am definetly going to try again now i know a lot of what i did wrong so i should do better nexttime my incubator is a hovabator is that a good one????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by