Why won't she shut up?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CricketYang, Nov 5, 2010.

1. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    I have a 20something month old EE pullet and she just starting making this odd noise today. She sounds like a cat. Not a meow or anything, more like a moan, but not in pain. Some say its because shes getting ready to lay but I don't think she's going to be ready for another couple of weeks, her comb is still quite pale. She's eating and drinking normally. I don't really mind the noise, it sounds kind of cute. However the brahmas are getting annoyed with her and are starting to give her some "shut up" pecks. [​IMG]

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Do you mean 20 something week? Am pretty sure you do. My EE cross is always making noises too. Same with the EE's we used to have. Think it is just one of those things she will have to learn on her own.

3. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My hen made really loud chicken chatter when she was about ready to lay her first egg. I guess she didnt know where to go to lay it so she ran around the backyard squawking her head off. We put her in the nesting box and an hour or two later she laid her first egg.

4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I have one that barks. strange.

5. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Mine is vocal in a very friendly fashion. She chirps, clucks, squawks, and growls. I, think, chickens are all a little different. She sounds different from my RRs.

6. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    M Orp/EE crosses make sounds that are less "chicken" sounding than my Orp/Del crosses. Their sounds are quite soft and pipping rather than loud and squawking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by