Why won't they lay eggs dadblameit!

LLCoyote

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Ok. So apparently my house just screams eggless ducks. Do these even exist? All I know is I bought a female, she was laying almost daily, she molted, and now two weeks after completely refeathering she is still not laying eggs. My other female, bought from a different vendor, is well over 6 months now if not older and she isn't laying anything. I know people hate these questions and say "They'll start laying when they are ready" but I need to know that it isn't me. The get fed layer pellets, I need to buy more grit as I've been out for a couple of weeks and been too busy to replace it. Always clean bedding, and they are free range during the hours of 10 in the morning to 8 at night. (That's when our sun goes down here XD) I check daily for eggs and sady I get none. I got Welsh Harlequins FOR eggs as all information I read on them said they could produce 200 to 300 eggs a year from a good line. I'm suspicious that my young female may be a cross because she is really white and the one from Happy Mountain Farm (bough as ducklings from Metzers) is kinda brown. Anyway that is beside the point. I know this is childish but.... I WANT MY EGGS! They were soooo good when I was getting them and I want them back. So what do you guys think? Is it something I'm doing (or not doing)? My biggest concern with any of my animals is health and I've been told that ducks that don't lay aren't healthy... so that is scary for me. Please give me your imput.

I'm thinking it's four weeks or so after molting that they start egg laying again. And your six month old duck - that does seem like a while. You've had her since she was a little duckling? Or did you get her when she was older?

You might try giving vitamin mix weekly, and add some free choice oyster shell on the side and see if that helps. Some ducks are more sensitive to nutrient imbalances. I'm still struggling to find a way to get Vier enough calcium so she doesn't lay soft shelled eggs so often.

From nine runners I get about six eggs a day. Two are broody, so that's pretty good. You may consider getting another duck or two. That may not be practical, but it might take the pressure off your two sweeties until they feel up to it.

I have three, two females and a male, and my father refuses to allow any more of them. I'm just kind of scared they might be sick. What type of vitamins are you thinking to give them? If it's needed then I have no problem doing it.

There are poultry vitamins available online and at feed stores. My first batch came from Meyer Hatchery and has probiotics and electrolytes as well as vitamins. I mix 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water. I don't give it to them every day, but every week or so, and when they've had a stressful day.

6 months might be too young. It's "about" the time, but they lay when they lay. Sorry you don't want to hear that, but that happens to be the truth.

They stop laying when they molt.

Some ducks are seasonal layers, but Welsh Harlequins should lay all year long. They might need light supplement in order to lay in the winter.

Welsh Harlequins are close to the same color as my Appleyards and Appleyards can produce a snowy bird and occasionally a white bird. So light color might not mean your duck isn't purebred. I've got a snowy Appleyard right now. She's purebred and very nicely built, just lighter in color.

Really? The color thing is interesting to me... hm. She has fairly normal markings, just really white outside of her marking and her and my male have super orange feet. Do you think food may have something to do with bill and foot color? I'm just curious.

As long as this is normal then I don't mind hearing that they'll lay when they lay. Maybe I'm just being too anxious with them.
lol.png
I'm new to ducks. I'm used to horses, where issues with them are pretty obvious and the answers to the problems are easy to find. I've only found one vet that will take ducks around here and all she wants to do on every turn is give them an antibiotic. It costs 100 dollars x.x not that I wouldn't do it, if I thought they really needed it but she came right out and told me, "Well ducks are just ducks. They die and people buy more. So this is my best guess." In other words she wasn't too sure. I don't want to put them through the stress of catching and shoving meds down their throats if I don't have to. That doesn't sound like fun for any body. I'm ranting aren't I? XD My bad, thank you for your input.

Back
Top Bottom