Why won't they LAY!?!

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I have 8 ducks. yes. 8. and I get no eggs. 5 of them were born on May 1, and we got a few eggs from the 2 mallards in like september... then no more... 2 of them are khaki campbells.. no eggs as far as I can tell... the 5th duck is a pekin, no eggs from her either. We also have 3 older swedish ducks a black, a blue and a splash, the black one was laying eggs in september, then nothing.. the other two brooded out a hatch of babies in July, and haven't laid an egg since. they also were moved, from my friends farm (he wanted to breed them to his runner.. and they had 4 babies between them) back to my house in september.. what do you think is going on?

Ducks "know" the seasons based on the amount of daylight. Artificial light tricks them into thinking it's summer and a good time to lay eggs. In birds, light stimulates the pineal gland which is part of their endocrine system (responsible for the circadian rhythm, recognizing seasons, and acts as a compass for migratory birds). When ducks (and other seasonal laying birds) are exposed to light for a sufficient amount of time it triggers pineal gland to release the hormones that begins the laying process.

Since it is winter right now, they "know" not to lay eggs. Introducing an artificial light to extend their daylight hours should get them to start laying.

Okay, so it's the same as my chickens... Last winter, the chickens stopped laying eggs, but the ducks kept right on going.. so I thought they were immune to the light problem... I guess I'll just have to wait. My chickens quit laying last year from Halloween to Groundhog day... this year they quit around the 4th of july!

mine quit around october but im okay with it b/c im not so tempted to incubate that way! LOL
gig.gif

I doubt these two reasons but they might be the case:
1. They are eggbound: If this was the case they probably should be dead by now
2. They are hiding the eggs: Are you looking close...are they free range, if so they could make a nest somewhere or lay an egg in hard to find spots
3. Are they females: May be a stupid question, but are you sure you dont have all males other than the mallards

I have 5 girls. I get one egg a day. Occasionally I get a "jello egg" which I assume is from my youngest duck. It is not unusual this time of year. By March you should have eggs up to your eyeballs.

They seem really healthy, and I'm sure, 100% that 7 of my 8 ducks are females.. my pekin hasn't laid an egg yet, and doesn't have gender specific coloring (like my khaki's and mallards).... but Ideal sent her as a female, and she sure quacks loud... I try to be patient, but it's hard when I have SO few eggs... we're down to 1 chicken egg every 2 or 3 days.. from 10 hens (all of laying age) 8 ducks (all of laying age) and a goose (a boy, who will never lay).... anyway, have a happy holiday everyone!

I think Pekins are the last to lay. My Lucy, Lela, and Lulu were all 6 months old when they started to lay. I'm getting eggs from my Pekins but its warmer in TN (usually) than Vermont.

Wait it out. You'll be up to your eyeballs in eggs soon enough.

Laurie

Basically they are too young and are out of season, give them til this spring and you will be loaded with eggs. Also moving them at times can cause them to quit til they get re acclimated. And if you let one go broody and hatch a clutch, they often times are done as well, they have completed their biological need to reproduce at that point. If you want them to lay and lay continually, remove all eggs and hatch them in an incubator or under chickens

Back
Top Bottom