Why won't they lay?!?

momma's chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Idaho
I have 16 hens and 1 roo. They are in a 10 x 7 coop. That is at full capacity I know but it is still 4 ft per chicken. One of the hen is four years old and the others were purchased at the feed store this March. They have access to feed and fresh water. They have an attached run that is 18 x 7. Part of it is covered for outside access even when it is wet. They are let out to free range every day between 2 and 3 pm. And they still only give me two eggs a day. It is three different hens that lay, what is the issue. I know they are not laying somewhere else, because I keep them locked in the coop/run for a couple of days and there were no more eggs.

What is going on, did I purchase dud chickens or what?
hu.gif

Editted to add.... I rake the shaving around every morning so the coop is not dirty and still nothing.

Last edited:
Well, some of mine, purchased in April, just started laying a couple of weeks ago. the Barred Rock and Austrolorps were the latest to start. My RIR were the earliest, 19 weeks, followed by my EE.

Hope your flock starts to produce soon! It is soooo much fun to find eggs every day. We had a 9 egg out of 12 hen day today. That is the highest we have been. But a dozen are promised for Tuesday and 2 dozen for Thursday - so I don't think we will have any problem meeting the demand! LOL

Again, good luck with yours!

Thanks I was filling some orders and then the orders are piled high and the "stupid"
wink.png
chickens went on strike. That is okay I still love them.

My least favorite looking chicken of the bunch gives me an egg almost daily - Buff Minorca.

LAZY, LAZY, chickens!
hugs.gif

momma's chickens :

I have 16 hens and 1 roo. They are in a 10 x 7 coop. That is at full capacity I know but it is still 4 ft per chicken. One of the hen is four years old and the others were purchased at the feed store this March. They have access to feed and fresh water. They have an attached run that is 18 x 7. Part of it is covered for outside access even when it is wet. They are let out to free range every day between 2 and 3 pm. And they still only give me two eggs a day. It is three different hens that lay, what is the issue. I know they are not laying somewhere else, because I keep them locked in the coop/run for a couple of days and there were no more eggs.

What is going on, did I purchase dud chickens or what?
hu.gif

Editted to add.... I rake the shaving around every morning so the coop is not dirty and still nothing.

Are you feeding a layer ration? Also, some flocks are still in molt, are yours losing feathers? If so, their production slows down during this time. And there is always the possibility that you have a breed that matures slowly.​

Well, I waiting almost 8 months for one to start... now everyone is slowed down to a crawl. I've gotten all of 2 eggs this week. Then one went broody... I'm sure they are probably just not getting enough light and are going to take awhile to start laying at all. Some may even wait at this point until next spring to begin.

HI, I am feeding them a layer ration and they have access to oyster shell. They also get some scratch in the mornings.

I have a mixed flock, it consists of a 1 Welsummer, 2 Barred Rock, 1 Buttercup, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 2 Buff Minorca, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Leghorn, 1 RIR, 1 Austrolop, 1 Ancona, 1 SLW, 2 Araucanas, and 1 Brahma. The roo is also a Buttercup.

Back
Top Bottom