Why won't they Pair Up?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by muscovy94, Jun 14, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hello everyone I recently bought a pair of hungarian giant house pigeons to keep my lone fantail hen company. Well my male hungarian and fantail hen decided they liked each other and paired. When I figured out that they had paired up I separated the fantail hen from the hungarians, hoping the hungarians would pair. I am really wanting my hungarians to breed. THe thing is, they show no interest in each other whatsoever. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to pair up? Would putting them in a cage by themselves encourage them to pair up? ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks.

2. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    Are you sure you have a cock and a hen? If so putting them by them in a small cage together may help.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Put them in their own cage, provide them with a nest bowl/box, and some nesting material. When the male discovers he has his own place to show off, he'll probably let the hen know [​IMG]

4. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I have found that placing a pigeon alone for at least two weeks usually gets them "excited" to pair. But it can take a while (differs by breed) to remate birds. If they can see the other than they will never remate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by