Why would 15 healthy chicks just die?

When I got home from work the little chick that I have left was just sitting there looking at me al sad and lonely. It breaks my heart. I was able to check my vents real quick before heading out to get dinner with the fam, nothing clean as a whistle. I wasn’t able to get pictures of the brooder and the chick as I was only home for a brief moment but will take some when I get home.
Ok, thanks for the update. If your last chick dies or if you get more chicks and they die, it would be best to contact your local extension office or your state Department of Agriculture and find out how to go about sending a bird off for necropsy.
Also a college veterinary school might be able to assist with a necropsy as well.

This is my setup. The side with the lamp is about 85 right now as the room she is in is sitting at around 80. She can run to the other side of the box if she gets to warm but also not get chilled. I put the lamp on a timer on for 2 hours off for one as when I got home it was a tad warm in the room. She has a small water dish for now because I put her water in the dishwasher without soap just in case it was the water container doing something. I don’t think I’m going to lose her as she is extremely active at the moment. I would like to give her a name but can’t think of anything that would suit her any suggestions. Also I have no idea which of the breeds she is that I ordered, I’m thinking she is the free surprise chick mcmurray sends with their orders.
image.jpg

This is my setup. The side with the lamp is about 85 right now as the room she is in is sitting at around 80. She can run to the other side of the box if she gets to warm but also not get chilled. I put the lamp on a timer on for 2 hours off for one as when I got home it was a tad warm in the room. She has a small water dish for now because I put her water in the dishwasher without soap just in case it was the water container doing something. I don’t think I’m going to lose her as she is extremely active at the moment. I would like to give her a name but can’t think of anything that would suit her any suggestions. Also I have no idea which of the breeds she is that I ordered, I’m thinking she is the free surprise chick mcmurray sends with their orders.View attachment 2840847
What breed is she?

Totally a novice at baby chicks and I know common knowledge says pine shavings are okay, but ... . When I raised reptiles for a while, pine was considered as bad for respiratory problems as cedar.

I started my chicks on disposable puppy pads. When they started scratching those up too much, I switched over to aspen shavings until they went to the coop. Just something else to consider.

Hope your little Susie Survivor makes it.

Back
Top Bottom