Why would 15 healthy chicks just die?

Totally a novice at baby chicks and I know common knowledge says pine shavings are okay, but ... . When I raised reptiles for a while, pine was considered as bad for respiratory problems as cedar.

I started my chicks on disposable puppy pads. When they started scratching those up too much, I switched over to aspen shavings until they went to the coop. Just something else to consider.

Hope your little Susie Survivor makes it.
Unfortunately for us pine shavings are the cheapest and only thing the farm stores around me sell.

This is my setup. The side with the lamp is about 85 right now as the room she is in is sitting at around 80. She can run to the other side of the box if she gets to warm but also not get chilled. I put the lamp on a timer on for 2 hours off for one as when I got home it was a tad warm in the room. She has a small water dish for now because I put her water in the dishwasher without soap just in case it was the water container doing something. I don’t think I’m going to lose her as she is extremely active at the moment. I would like to give her a name but can’t think of anything that would suit her any suggestions. Also I have no idea which of the breeds she is that I ordered, I’m thinking she is the free surprise chick mcmurray sends with their orders.View attachment 2840847
Clover? Like 4 leaf clover?

Unfortunately for us pine shavings are the cheapest and only thing the farm stores around me sell.
Bummer. They’re almost always available at pet stores, but pretty pricey there. I got mine at TSC. They are more expensive than pine, but I didn’t need a lot or for very long.
Good luck with your lone chickee.

You've looked at everything INSIDE but have you looked at all the possibilities of toxic chemical exposure outdoors? If any of the farms around you use round up or other chemicals on the grass or garden on a hot windy day it could kill the chicks in my opinion.
The instructions of the chemical label (MSDS)clearly state its not safe to use it on windy days and higher the temperature make it dangerous.

You've looked at everything INSIDE but have you looked at all the possibilities of toxic chemical exposure outdoors? If any of the farms around you use round up or other chemicals on the grass or garden on a hot windy day it could kill the chicks in my opinion.
The instructions of the chemical label (MSDS)clearly state its not safe to use it on windy days and higher the temperature make it dangerous.
Fortunately the city has sprayed for bugs already for the year a few months ago. My neighbors don’t use any kind of round up or anything of the sorts because they know we have bees and almost everyone around us has livestock of some kind. There are no crop farms around us that sprays and most of the farms around us are livestock only farms. It’s kind of a big no no to spray by me as the feed company Purina has an educational livestock and animal only farm and a food testing, research, or some kind of facility right down the road from us, and nobody feels like getting into it with them.

So I keep my clear plastic brooding box at 80 something and the room it is in is in the high 70s. The hatchery is telling me that my chicks died from not enough heat. When they were thriving, running around eating drinking and being happy healthy little chicks, that happen to just out of nowhere no symptoms of hunger thirst, no panting or dog piling on each other for warmth drop dead. These chicks not once used their heat lamp that’s how comfortable they were. The hatchery says that I should keep my plastic box at 95 in a room at mid 70s for the first week so that I could have nice crispy chickens. I’ve cooked my chicks before keeping it at 95 the first week in that room and box, so through trial and close observation of my babies I found that the lamp at 80 will keep them happy and not turn them into rotisserie chickens. I told them that I’ve measured the temp in the box with that lamp at 95 the box got up to the 100s even with a small desk fan on it for circulation. They want me to cook my babies.
13B0064C-8F14-404E-AE5E-7A680591E451.png

So I keep my clear plastic brooding box at 80 something and the room it is in is in the high 70s. The hatchery is telling me that my chicks died from not enough heat. When they were thriving, running around eating drinking and being happy healthy little chicks, that happen to just out of nowhere no symptoms of hunger thirst, no panting or dog piling on each other for warmth drop dead. These chicks not once used their heat lamp that’s how comfortable they were. The hatchery says that I should keep my plastic box at 95 in a room at mid 70s for the first week so that I could have nice crispy chickens. I’ve cooked my chicks before keeping it at 95 the first week in that room and box, so through trial and close observation of my babies I found that the lamp at 80 will keep them happy and not turn them into rotisserie chickens. I told them that I’ve measured the temp in the box with that lamp at 95 the box got up to the 100s even with a small desk fan on it for circulation. They want me to cook my babies.View attachment 2841319
What? I feel like mine is always put so it’s in the 80s for my chicks when they come. If they are cold they will cuddle not fall over and die all of a sudden.🙄 That’s so annoying of them! They just went through the mail without any heater! You would easily be able to tell if they were too cold!

Back
Top Bottom