1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why would a hen sit on her eggs all day? HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sophiesmith, Nov 18, 2012.

1. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    One of my hens sits on her eggs all day? We do not have a rooster within a mile. Why would she? She sits on the eggs alllll day .She is getting unhealthy. I need HELP.

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Sounds to me like she's broody...they don't need a rooster for that instinct...they don't know the eggs aren't fertile. What breed is she? Some are more prone to broodiness than others. Just go ahead and take the eggs...once they're gone she'll likely leave the nest.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yep she's broody. Put her in a dog crate with some pine shavings or straw and give her food and water. Let her out a couple of times a day to stretch her legs, but she will probably head back to her nest box. Place her back in the dog crate for a minimum of 3 days until she quits returning to brood. Some broodies can't be quite stubborn and it may take a week or more. Just don't let her have any eggs to sit on.

4. sophiesmith

sophiesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    Van Wert, OH
    She is a golden laced Wyandotte. I have tried to take the eggs. After she is still in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by