Why would I want a goat?

1. excellent milk production - cheaper and more efficient than cows
2. you can still BBQ 'em if you want too! there are dual purpose breeds
3. the #1 reason - b/c they will eat all your poison ivy - thats why i started with them.. in general they are great at brush clearing

however,

mine are not pets and i dont especially think they are overly cute or smart. but they are easily managed (with good fences). i would never compare them to dogs or heaven forbid, trade my dogs for goats. but heck - you cant milk a dog (well technically i guess you could...)

before i got them all i had heard were raves about them.. but i found out quickly they are not as "cute and fun" as i expected. i think i'm the minority on this but i may have worked a little harder on getting pasture ready for cows if someone had let me know that not everyone is head over heels for them (like me).

i love the goat milk and by the end of summer they will have paid for themselves by supplementing feed (for poultry and hogs) and for our grocery bill.

sorry goat lovers but i think i'm a goat 'liker' and someone had to say it.

Goats aren't for everyone. Just like some people don't want a dog, don't want a cat or fish or whatever. So if you really don't want a particular animal I wouldn't try to convince yourself you want one. Maybe you are more into ... who knows, snakes or some other animal. .
Personally I think they are adorable though. It is a personal choice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom