Why would my hen hide her head?

Wintersun

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 8, 2012
NH
First time I've seen this. In the run, in the corner where there are wood braces for the run fencing in the shape of an upside down Y, Penelope was hiding her head. This is right next to the door. I entered the run - she didn't move. I bent down and gently wrapped my hands around both sides and removed her. I held her and pet her head and she closed her eyes and relaxed. Now, Penelope is 4.5 months old and has NEVER let me hold or pet her. Then I put her down, she stayed close and jumped on my back. Another hen does this every morning, but not Penelope. She jumped on a high roost and there she sits now.

Any ideas? My one thought is that my Rooster is beginning to sow his oats. So far, I've only seen him go for and be successful with Henrietta but maybe he went for Penelope and she's traumatized?

My first thought is that it sounds like an act of submission. I had a poor polish that ended up being a rooster and when I first introduced him the older ladies were very mean. He hide in the corner with his head buried.

I have never kept a rooster up to mating age so I am sure if there are other factors I am not aware of.

Last edited:
I've noticed that my chickens become more docile when they're being picked on. Suddenly a friendly human isn't so scary when they're feeling vulnerable. She may have another member of the flock pecking at her head, or a rooster trying to grab her by the neck. I'd watch the dynamics in the group and keep an eye on her. She'll probably be alright once things settle down.

I did watch her tonight. She stayed on the high roost quite a while. I went back out to visit and eventually she jumped down, the rooster was after her right away and she escaped into the coop. The other 6 hens and rooster stayed in the run. So I think you all might be right - picked on and trying to escape Roo. I'll watch them all tomorrow again.

I think one of my hen has the same issue. Today she's been very quiet. Isn't pecking away and just stand in the flower pot with her head tucked in.

Yesterday she was quite naughty, running around eating everything and all. Today she's very quiet. I'm not sure if it's bullying because I've seen her pick on the bigger hen a few times. It's a big foggy and cold today so I thought she might be cold.
Any thoughts?

I think one of my hen has the same issue. Today she's been very quiet. Isn't pecking away and just stand in the flower pot with her head tucked in.

Yesterday she was quite naughty, running around eating everything and all. Today she's very quiet. I'm not sure if it's bullying because I've seen her pick on the bigger hen a few times. It's a big foggy and cold today so I thought she might be cold.
Any thoughts?
That stance and behavior could mean she's not feeling well.
Maybe she ate something not agreeing with her....looks like you free range?
Just keep an eye on her, make sure she's eating, drinking, and pooping OK....

If she continues to be inactive I suggest you start a new thread in the illness forum
And provide the pertinent info in this list: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/3569/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first

When my guineas attacked our hens they would hide their head. And when I went to stop the guineas the victim hen would sit with its head tucked. Happened to one of the GLW hens who hates even being touched, but let me pick her up after the ordeal was over.

Last edited:
That stance and behavior could mean she's not feeling well.
Maybe she ate something not agreeing with her....looks like you free range?
Just keep an eye on her, make sure she's eating, drinking, and pooping OK....

If she continues to be inactive I suggest you start a new thread in the illness forum
And provide the pertinent info in this list: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/3569/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first

Thank you.
I kept a watch on her most of the day yesterday. Her poop was very runny and she was just standing in a corner with her head tucked in. However, later in the evening she started moving around and eating a bit.
Usually when they go into the coop to sleep I leave the coop door open as they like to come out early morning but last night I closed it since it was cold and today she's come out walking around pecking and eating again so I think she's better hopefully.

According to a few friends. She was just having an emo day and sulking lol

Back
Top Bottom