Why would they peck?

jimz1

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Coleman, Wi
What can I do to keep the chicks from pecking each other? I've got a red bulb for heat. One of them has a bloody spot on her back. I've got a red bulb for heat. could they be too crowded?
What do I do with the injured one? My wife has it separated from the other ones but still in the same brooder.

Most likely they are establishing pecking order, (in a brooder so a new flock learning whos going to be boss) So that isnt anything to worry about so long as it doesnt get out of hand. They could even be reinforcing whos where. Even now my established flock will give the occaisonal peck to remind the lower ones where they stand
tongue.png

Do you think they're over croweded? thats what you've got to ask. consult the laws of where you are for the legal space required. But if theyve all got room to strech and flap their wings at once im sure theyve space - for now.
if its badly injured, plain flour can help stop the bleeding.
There is also something - unhelpful as i cant name it but im sure someone else can - but its a different colour, it should stop the other chickens from pecking at the injury specifically.
tea tree oil is a good natural cleanser for it too
smile.png

Blu-Coat (available at most TSC's and on-line). It's a topical treatment for wounds and tastes bad so it's suppose to reduce the amount of pecking going on (at the wound site). If this poor bird is at the bottom of the "totem pole" of the pecking order...the others are likely to just look for another spot on the injured bird to continue sending their message.
barnie.gif

I don't think it's "other birds". My wife noticed that just 1 was pecking her. It was the pheasant-looking one I have a picture of in Raising chicks

I have heard that pine tar will work. You can get it at TSC also. They hate the taste of it, and its black. They might need more room. Could they be too hot? I might separate the aggressor to. Good Luck!!

I have this problem too. One chick is just aggressive and pecked a bloody hole in its brooder mate a few weeks ago.

I separated the aggressor and put blue kote on the wounded chick.

The good news is that the chick has healed perfectly. The bad news is that whenever I try to put the aggressive chick back in with her mates, she just chases them around, plucks their feathers and eats them
sad.png

So I am keeping her separate for now. I just got some pinless peepers in the mail today and am HOPING they do the trick. They look a little big for a 4 week old chick though, so I may have to wait until she is a little bigger before I can put them on her and put her back with the others. I actually have another thread on here waiting for a reply to the question of how old a chick has to be to use them.

Good luck and let me know if you find a solution that works for you!

http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers/productinfo/PINLESS-P/

I think it's something to do with their pecking order, like one of the other replies said. When I got my chicks, I prepared a nice brooder for them, big and spacious, and they'd always shove each other around trying to see who was stronger. Occasional pecking, but as I guess they got along pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom