Why you should have Jersey giants and not shy away from their size

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
We have four jersey giants and they are great! They are sweet and kind and affectionate ours are lap chickens and very calm we also have buff orpingtons the highly praised breed for affection I love all our girls the same but if I had to pick the calmer breed jersey giants would be it!!!! When the buff orpingtons we’re younger they would always sneak away and even now will try to escape! They are lap chickens as well but don’t tend to always just sit in your lap mine tend to scratch around and move around on my lap sometimes falling off!!! Why my jersey giants tend to stand or lay more quietly on your lap don’t get me wrong I love my buff orpingtons a ton but jersey giants in my flock are calmer! That lay pretty light brown eggs and are adorable as chicks if you don’t have a lot of space they might not be for you but otherwise you should get this breed!!

I think it's more how slow they grow than their actual size that has people shying away from them. Plus they just aren't really fancy, they're just big, solid colored birds like most common breeds are. They just tend to blend in and get lost in the crowd

When I was looking for breeds that are right for me I narrowed it down to Jersey Giants and Brahmas. I ended up with Brahmas. Both are large breeds that are sweet-natured, not inclined to fly far, and don't lay too many eggs (reducing the chance of reproductive problems), but in my climate the Brahmas have the advantage of pea combs and cold hardiness. I still would like to have a couple Jersey Giants, but they aren't easy to find in my area (from good breeders/hatcheries at reasonable prices).

I think it's more how slow they grow than their actual size that has people shying away from them. Plus they just aren't really fancy, they're just big, solid colored birds like most common breeds are. They just tend to blend in and get lost in the crowd
Yes they do grow slower than most!! This is one of my jersey giants when young
BA8CDEAB-E9B4-4D6D-8425-6202E1B1EB19.jpeg

We have four jersey giants and they are great! They are sweet and kind and affectionate ours are lap chickens and very calm we also have buff orpingtons the highly praised breed for affection I love all our girls the same but if I had to pick the calmer breed jersey giants would be it!!!! When the buff orpingtons we’re younger they would always sneak away and even now will try to escape! They are lap chickens as well but don’t tend to always just sit in your lap mine tend to scratch around and move around on my lap sometimes falling off!!! Why my jersey giants tend to stand or lay more quietly on your lap don’t get me wrong I love my buff orpingtons a ton but jersey giants in my flock are calmer! That lay pretty light brown eggs and are adorable as chicks if you don’t have a lot of space they might not be for you but otherwise you should get this breed!!
We have 3 Black Jersey Giants with our other girls, Barred Rocks and Gold Laced Wyandottes. Our giants seem to be the shy ones compared to the others,only one will let me pet her but she’s definitely a lap chicken and loves all her lap time. The other 2, one comes to me on her terms but no pets. The other is so shy she just hangs back by herself. They’re definitely sweethearts and I’m so glad we got them 😊

Back
Top Bottom