1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    every where i look it says not to open the bator during the hatch i am wondering why that is

2. Chickenteacher

Chickenteacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Patterson, Louisiana
    Opening the bator releases your built up humidity....which you need so that the chicks don't stick to the insides of their shells.....the humidity keeps them moist and hopefully they can just sliiiiiide out......

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Humidity is important during incubation. The final three days of incubation, it is more critical. Anytime you open the incubator you lose humidity. A loss of humidity can cause the inner membrane to shrinkwrap the chick thus causing death.

Hope this helps!

4. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I am on day 20 and the humidity keeps running between 57 and 69. Will they stay moist in that range? I can't keep it on any % for any length of time. It steadily goes up and then back down over the course of a few hours.

5. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    Mine is doing the same thing. It is VERY frustrating!!!! UUUUGGGHHH. I did hear a peep a minute ago so there's hope. I started to talking to it like crazy.

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Then how do you do candeling if your not supposed to open up the bator?

7. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Hello Ticks...

Its ok to candle up to day 18, after that ~ leave it shut for hatching.

8. DutchChicky

DutchChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    S.Jersey
    You DON"T candle the last 3 days!!!
    Last candleingyou do at day18, after that no turning and no opening of the bator.
    I think your humidity flucuation will be fine. Between 60-70% is fine, in my opinion

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If you're having issues with humidity, plug up some of those ventilation holes with duct tape!

I plugged up mine and my humidity is right where I want it to be and is able to maintain that humidity for longer periods of time.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Just remember to unplug your holes, the babies will need a good supply of oxygen. Good hatching vibes! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by