Why

whitesranch

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2024
IMG_1700.jpeg
Why? Does he bother my laying hen?

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

I cannot tell what is going on by looking at that photo. Sometimes a rooster will show a hen a good place to make a nest. He might hang around the area or even climb in the nest with her to protect and support her while she is laying. Or he may be getting ready to attack her or mate with her. The vast majority of roosters are going to support and encourage hens to lay since those eggs could become his offspring. That's why they have an instinct to help. But it is always possible a chicken may not have the right instincts. I can't tell by looking at that photo.

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

I cannot tell what is going on by looking at that photo. Sometimes a rooster will show a hen a good place to make a nest. He might hang around the area or even climb in the nest with her to protect and support her while she is laying. Or he may be getting ready to attack her or mate with her. The vast majority of roosters are going to support and encourage hens to lay since those eggs could become his offspring. That's why they have an instinct to help. But it is always possible a chicken may not have the right instincts. I can't tell by looking at that photo.
First time having a roo, I’m not sure what they are supposed to do, lol, he is never mean, he’s a perfect gentleman but he hangs out a lot in there. I do have an egg eater every once in a while hence the camera. I’m trying to catch who it is.

Define "bother".
I've had a young male hover near a newly laying pullet.
I've also had young males try to grab and mate birds in the nests.
He’s never mean. He hangs out a lot in there. Trying to catch an egg eater hence the camera. It only happens once in a while but it makes me angry since I feel like they eat and live like queens. Lol

He’s never mean. He hangs out a lot in there. Trying to catch an egg eater hence the camera. It only happens once in a while but it makes me angry since I feel like they eat and live like queens. Lol
Get or build yourself some roll away nest boxes and no more eggs will be eaten.

Do the eggs eaten have good strong shells or are they weak and fragile?
Weak and soft shells break easily and thus, IMO, fair game for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom