Why???

We have 47 and no more room, but I still want a Polish and Salmon Faverolle hens. We had 2 delivered last week, but neither made it, and it makes me sad because our SF rooster is getting picked on.

Quote:
No problem there, if I get them from a retailer they are legally bound to sell me six at a time. I'm thinking of getting some RIR so I can breed some sexlinks. I have to look up which one needed to be the roo, though. I think it's RIR roo that makes the sexlinks with Delawares.

Hubby is not going to be very happy that I brought another one home. I separated the big ones from the little two. Unfortantly, two older ones were pecking on the baby. I hope in a few weeks it goes well when I put them together in the coop.
smile.png

Only 5?
Live in North east florida 20 min from the beach and have 8 layen hens 1 rir roo and 16 babbies from my 1st hatch left (all going to go in the layen house in sept) but man oh man 5 will never do. I got all mine on a standard size subdivision lot (no cages) jsut th efenced back yard and they keep the bugs down. Will butcher about half in a few more weeks but 5 will never do..........
lol.png
lol.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I always get more then one just in case the intro doesn't work out so well, and so the wee one doesn't get lonely all by itself, or if one doesn't make it ect ect ect. Run back and get a few more
big_smile.png
but thats just me lol

Hey, I'm just getting started and I have no idea what I can handle yet! I wanted Delawares and the guy only had five, so that's what I snagged. Maybe I will find more at one of the swaps.

Quote:
No problem there, if I get them from a retailer they are legally bound to sell me six at a time. I'm thinking of getting some RIR so I can breed some sexlinks. I have to look up which one needed to be the roo, though. I think it's RIR roo that makes the sexlinks with Delawares.

If you cross a gold (RIR) to a sliver (Del), it should produce sex-linked offspring such that silver offspring are males and gold offspring are females. Hence, Gold Star, Red Star, RSL, etc. hens are red with a silver base.

My husband said 3, I said four but then decided I wanted a Polish so got one of those also and then had 5, thought 2 were roos (that now looks like hens) so got 2 to replace them.. however I only really have room for 5 so I need to rehome 2 of the ones I have and can't decide who
sad.png
I know one but not the other. If I had a large enough space, the chicks would take over.

Back
Top Bottom