Why?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Country Heart, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Why is everyone so quick to want to know...roo or not? [​IMG]

I live in the suburbs and have to re-home my roos once they start crowing - but until that moment, I love to live in ignorant bliss and enjoy my short, sweet, precious time with my boys. [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Feed bills. The sooner they go, the less it costs you to raise one you are not keeping anyway. I do keep some roosters, but most need to go asap.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

A lot of us can not have roos and one crow can get us in a hole world of hurt. Trying to get a roo a good home is hard in towns. Or we dont have the room for a non -layer. [​IMG]

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Some people are keeping illegal chickens too, so even the first crow is a dead giveaway. Better to sex early and rehome/cull early than be caught because of an errant crow!

5. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

You all bring up valid points. Thanks for the insight. For my part, I am planning on staying in ignorant bliss until that one faithful day.

6. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    Quote:Sort of like asking the nurses to not tell you if it's a boy or girl..... but with chickens instead.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I needed to know, so I could replace with another chick before it was too late. The longer you wait, the harder to integrate.

8. LeelooD

LeelooD Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    NW Florida
    What hcppam and stacykins said! I don't think I am zoned for chickens, but loads of people in our county do it. As long as the neighbors don't complain, no one cares. I bought two birds last month and was assured they were both girls only one wasn't old enough to lay. Well, turns out she's never going to lay because she's a he! I'm trying to reach the person who sold them to take him back, but if she won't, I've got to get rid of him somehow before he crows and I have to give up my hen and coop!

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:X-2....

10. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    I have a small yard and a six week old too so idw to introduce a new guy in and have fights break out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by