Why?????

MelissaTXRn

Songster
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
I have 2- 17 week olds that we have had since a few days old. They stayed in a grow out coop from about 5 weeks to 15 weeks. they always slept on the ground. roosts were provided there, but chose not to use. Also have 2- 8 week olds that we got at 6 weeks, they went straight to the new coop. DH and I built the new hen coop 4x4 that is inside a 10x10 totally enclosed run. So, all 4 have been are now in the new coop/run x2 weeks now.
None of them sleep inside the coop. They roost on the support boards under it.
WHY won't they go into the coop? I have gone out and put them to bed 4 nights in a row. They still won't go in.
COULD the ladder be too steep? I will add a few pics.

Thank you for your response.
When I got the younger ones, they stayed in the coop all of the time while we finished the run. I wish we hadn't wasted the time and $. We should have just put some roosts and nesting boxes within the run.
The dummies have a mansion.

Last edited:
I would put them in the coop at night. Block their ability to roost on what they are roosting on now. Then when they panic looking for a place to roost at night, guide them up the ramp. Prepare to be frustrated. They're chickens and they have chicken brains.

I had a similar problem. It takes awhile.

Young birds without a Mama to show them what to do are dumb. I've had... lemme see... maybe 14 batches of pullets so far, and each and every single batch has had to be shown where to roost at night. So every batch of pullets that goes to the pullet house, sometimes two batches a year, I have to go out and show those little sillies where to sleep. I go out with a flashlight and a helper and catch them and put them up in the pullet house and shut them in. Takes anywhere from 3-7 nights depending on how quickly they get it. Your birds are acting normally, just keep putting them in and they'll get it sooner or later.

Now, clutches with a broody hen just follow Mama in as nice as you please and are never any problems at all.

Last edited:
Assuming the run is secure, I wouldn't be worried about it - though I get you're disappointed, it's a really nice coop. Maybe when the weather gets cooler they'll choose to use it.

Have you ever seen them enter the coop on their own? I don't see the ladder/ramp in the pictures, so it may well be that they just can't get in there on their own, or it's too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom