WI frostbite on rooster-help please!

That is a bad frost. Tips of tines turn black and fall off, that's typical in the cold north. More than that and you need more ventilation. I use a black rubber bowl for water and that dubs the wattles. Wattles dip in water when they drink then freeze. Not much I can do about that other than use heated bucket with nipples for water. It happens even with heated bowls or fountains, nipple system is the only thing that would stop it. My cockerels are self dubbed by the time they are cocks. Really bad frost can split open, infect and kill the bird and why the old timers up north would dub the cockerels pre winter. Cut tines and portion of wattles off to protect the cockerels.

Hello, I am new to this site and this is my first post so I hope it's in the right spot but I could really use some advice. I have a Welsummer pullet that recently decided to go swimming in her water tub in 15° weather. I saw her in there and carried her into the house where I put her in a bowl of room temperature water. She was not doing well holding her head against her back with her eyes closed and not responding to touch. After about 30 minutes I took her out and dried her off, she has since been in the guest bath tub on a towel.

That was two days ago and now she is doing much better eating and drinking like normal. She still has trouble walking and seems to have issues with balance. She uses her wings against the ground to keep upright and her wings don't seem strong. When she climbs on me it doesn't feel like her toes are gripping me more like just standing on me. I can tell that some of her toes are turning black and I'm wondering if I should let Herbie or put her down. I don't know how to tell if frostbite is mild or severe and even if I could I'm not sure what to do with either case.

Back
Top Bottom