Wichita Cabin Coop design computer models and material list

We used baldessariclan's sketch up model to guide us through our build. We made some changes to suit our needs (mostly enlarged it and changed the roof) but having the model made the whole process SO much easier!

did you use clear fiberglass panels for your roof? If so, did you have to take into consideration the gaps due to the corrugated surface? thanks!

We used clear polycarbonate panels. (From Lowes if I remember correctly)

The manufacturer had strips available that could be installed to close the gaps, but we decided to leave them open for ventilation.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Did you make any other modifications to the plans, anthing work better for you? I really like the clear top and I noticed you added a door/mesh area next to the pop door.
Thanks!
Kim <><

Changes we made:

--We made the whole thing a little bigger -- we wanted to be able to house a few more hens.

--We made the whole thing a little taller. We are using deep litter in the run as well as the henhouse. We wanted to make sure that there was enough headroom when the litter built up.

--We used plexiglass, not glass for the windows and made them completely removable for maximum airflow/ventilation in the summer. We also made the windows bigger.

--We added the screened door between the henhouse and run. This adds a great deal more ventilation, and the door opens to allow us to pull bedding from the henhouse directly into the run when it gets too deep/soiled in the henhouse. We also throw our leaves, weeds, lawn clippings, coffee grounds, food scraps, etc into the run. (Everything that used to go into the compost bin.) The run does need to be wrapped in plastic or have winterizing panels like in the original plans to keep the wind from coming in that screen opening (where I live it can get very cold -- below zero. In a milder climate you could skip the winterizing)

--We added a second human sized door on the other side of the run. We may, in the future, fence off a "pasture" area where the chickens can be out but safe from the dogs that are numerous in the summer. (We do allow them to free range as well.)

--we used plywood for the henhouse floor. Whatever was used in the plans was just too $$$ for us to justify.

--We also used narrower trim boards, again to save $$.

You've been very helpful, thanks again.
I noticed you have the PVC feeders. I plan to make those as well along with a water barrel/PCV tube/nipple waterer. We take motorcycle trips on the weekends alot and I want my "Girls" well taken care of.

I use the PVC feeders for grit and calcium.

If you look at the very back of the run, by the ramp to the henhouse, I have a 5 gal bucket with horizontal poultry nIpples for water and a 5 gallon bucket feeder like in the link below. Right now we have a submergable stick tank heater in the water bucket to keep it from freezing. It is working well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

We could easily go away for a week without worrying about food or water.

Do you have a ballpark figure on how much it would cost for materials to build the coop as indicated on the plan? thank you

Back
Top Bottom