Wichita Cabin Coop design computer models and material list

For an idea of what it cost us to build our coop, please refer to post #5 (from 2/15/14) above.

In addition, some folks have sent us information on how much they spent while building their own version of the "WCC". We have seen quotes as low as $250, up to a high of $1,500. A lot seems to depend on how much free / recycled material is used, vs. a preference for using brand new high-quality building supplies and hardware.

You can check out some of the pictures and write-ups in the "Wichita Cabin Coop" Facebook page for further details:

https://www.facebook.com/WichitaCabinCoop

Last edited:
Would you recommend these plans to someone who has little to no experience with building/woodworking? I love this coop, but have no experience building aside from putting together planter boxes. :) Thank you!

Tough to answer.

I would say that having 2 people will make things much easier.

There wasn't anything particularly hard or complicated, but there are NOT step by step tutorial directions or plans.

The computer model lets you see every piece as well as dimensions and what not, but you have to do some figuring out.

I don't have any significant experience, but I was able to figure out how things worked and fit together. BUT I really had to THINK In a few places.

I think you will be able to do it if you go into it with confidence and don't get frustrated if you make a mistake or two (or 5) along the way that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Just sent an email about PDF's !
I can't wait to get started on this! Thanks for making this available to us!!!
Pete

Thanks for the quick delivery of the excellent plans!

I appreciate all of the time you put into this and the fact you are only asking for $5.

I'll keep you posted with my progress once winter leaves Montreal...

Best,
Eric

Do you still have this design? If so, how many birds will this coop house? I have 6 hens. Thanks.

Mike

We just built ours this year with a couple modifications for our purposes, the biggest probably being that we did a barn door type design so we could open the top half to toss scraps into the pen without letting the girls escape into the yard, it's been hugely helpful so I thought I'd chime in with it. Thanks for such a thorough post, I hope yours continues to work for you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom