Wichita Cabin Question

sjolie

Chirping
Sep 23, 2019
Chicago, IL
I'm interested in building a coop based on the Wichita Cabin design, but have a question about roofing material. I've seen some that use "clear" roofing material and wondering how that affects heat in the coop. I'm in Chicago, so it seems like it might be good for warming the coop in winter, but would it get too hot in the summer? There are trees around where I'm planning to build it, so maybe that would help in the summer.

Thoughts?

I'm interested in building a coop based on the Wichita Cabin design, but have a question about roofing material. I've seen some that use "clear" roofing material and wondering how that affects heat in the coop. I'm in Chicago, so it seems like it might be good for warming the coop in winter, but would it get too hot in the summer? There are trees around where I'm planning to build it, so maybe that would help in the summer.

Thoughts?
I used polycarbonate roofing on my first coop and loved it. It lets in lots of light. But my coop was located near deciduous trees that shaded it during the day in the summer. So if you have a similar location, it would work well.
It also sheds snow well if you have a good pitch.

I used polycarbonate roofing on my first coop and loved it. It lets in lots of light. But my coop was located near deciduous trees that shaded it during the day in the summer. So if you have a similar location, it would work well.
It also sheds snow well if you have a good pitch.
Is polycarbonate clear or "frosted"?

Is polycarbonate clear or "frosted"?
It comes in many colors. All allow light in. I used a color called "smoke".
I reused the panels on the brooder run and dust bath area roofs of my new coop.
This shows how much light comes in.
IMG_20190726_140235881.jpg

8740DB9F-F40A-4A75-8C4F-1A106432D378.jpeg
Hello,
I built a Witchta Coop and I live in Orlando FL. My roof is 5/8 plywood covered with green metal roofing from Lowe’s. As you know it gets hot here. Coop and run never got real hot. The key to any roof is airflow. Make sure you have good ventilation and you can cover with what you like. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom