Wierd egg? (Pic Included)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by themillican, Apr 29, 2009.

1. themillican

themillican New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    When I collected the eggs from my 4 RIRs this morning and this is what I found:

[​IMG]

What is with the egg on the right? I have never seen an egg like this! I have had the girls for about 4 months now and this is the first wierd egg. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what this is. I haven't cracked it yet because I want my husband to see it first. I'll update when I know what is in it.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've heard them called Fart Eggs or Rooster Eggs. If you crack it open, it will most likely be just yolk or just white.

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Last time I had one that small, it was all white and just a very tiny, tiny, strand of yolk. Doesn't happen often but does happen.

4. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Quote:Usually from a new layer.[​IMG]

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I've got one of them in my egg basket. It's a cute little bugger! I found it on the coop floor. Here's a picture the day I gathered it:

[​IMG]

I dunno about it being a new layer, they've all been laying since October 31st.....

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

When I was little all of our RIR's (we had tons) started laying at the same time, but only a few of them laid those little eggs. We called them "empties" since there was only white in them.

7. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    That is a really cool egg! I would love to know what the inside of it is!

8. NavyWife

NavyWife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2007
    Ellsworth, Maine
    I have had a few of these before. Mine were from older hens into their third year of laying and they were perfect miniature eggs inside. We fried the first one we ever found...it was a bite-sized over-easy egg...yummy! [​IMG]

9. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have had a couple like that from my black australorps. They were completely developed with yolk and whites for that size of egg.

10. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:Hah, my mom loves anything miniature like that! She made us some miniburgers using baguettes once.

I love the egg shell though, it looks really neat. Me, I'd blow out whatever is inside and keep the egg shell intact. Hey has anyone ever had one of these "fart eggs" be fertile? Probably not large enough to sustain life...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by