Wierd looking feathers....

Michelle R

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
I have a frizzle Buff Orp that is just over 4mos old. A couple of days ago I noticed that his feathers looked like he'd gotten wet somehow. I didn't pay much attention but today I picked him up for a closer examination and the feathers close to his body look dusty/white and clumped together. Not just in one place but all over his back/wings. The tips of the feathers around his neck still look like their wet but they don't feel wet. Any ideas? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

whithout picts i cant really say... you probably already know that the frizzles have feathers that grow backwards...

These pics aren't very good but hopefully will give you an idea of what his feathers look like. They are white-ish and twisted together. I checked for mites but didn't see anything. I've read that frizzles crossed with another frizzle can have some pretty serious feather issues. I'm wondering if maybe that's what this is. I got this bird when it was a couple of days old but I don't know if it was a frizzle/frizzle cross.

I've seen something about the whole frizzle/frazzle thing, in that many that actually know about this breed say the hatcheries aren't properly managing the breeding of them. Also, was wondering if you have used any mendications (i.e. fenbendazole can mess up emerging feathers if given during molt )-;~

After looking at your links and doing a lot of web searching I think it may be mites. I'm going to go out tomorrow when it starts getting dark and see if I can see them with a flashlight. I didn't see anything today but maybe using a flashlight might make it easier to see the mites. Interesting because I spend a good bit of time around the coop and haven't noticed any unusual picking, scratching, etc. Hopefully a little sevin dust on the birds and in the coop will take care of the problem.

After looking at your links and doing a lot of web searching I think it may be mites. I'm going to go out tomorrow when it starts getting dark and see if I can see them with a flashlight. I didn't see anything today but maybe using a flashlight might make it easier to see the mites. Interesting because I spend a good bit of time around the coop and haven't noticed any unusual picking, scratching, etc. Hopefully a little sevin dust on the birds and in the coop will take care of the problem.

When my chickens have the Northern Fowl Mites I never see them on the chickens...I just feel itchy when I hold them and then I find them on me, biting me. However, many do see evidence of them on the birds. So it is better safe than sorry to treat if you suspect.

Make sure you retreat every 7 days (birds and coop) tossing the bedding until bugs are gone (whatever you decide to use to treat). I like permethrin spray and dust from the feed store. Also I use a tied off sock to put the powder in, and place each bird on its back on the ground, getting under wings and vent area. Then I flip over and do the neck and back. I don't treat the face.

Last edited:

I've added the ::edit::diamatacious diatomaceous earth (sp?)::/edit:: for them, but doubt it'd be enough to prevent the inevitable. Parasites (inside 'n out) are just a part of havin' birds, and as blind as I am? I'm just gonna start 'em on some sort of schedule, w/ yet-to-be-determined treatment(s).

My head's itchin' now ~'-)

Last edited:
lol....makes my head itch, too! Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm just glad it's not something more serious than mites. I can deal with that!

lol....makes my head itch, too! Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm just glad it's not something more serious than mites. I can deal with that!

Well, the result of this thread? Despite no evidence of infestation, mine just got dusted w/ permethrin 0.25% mixed w/ a bit of DE (mostly to more evenly spread the permethrin, and better identify where I'd already been ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom