wierd question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdboy508, Aug 16, 2011.

1. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    how heavy are scovies.[​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Feathersite says:

"The males are large, weighing up to twelve pounds, with the smaller females reaching only seven (I have heard of one Australian strain bred for market, in which a dressed male reached nearly 20 lb and took two people to restrain)."

3. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I've heard the same! Males are between 10 - 12lbs and females are between 6 - 7lbs.
    What I haven't found - the average height and length! [​IMG]

4. fisharescary

fisharescary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Quote:Seriously.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The males are weighty.. i mean i haven't actually weighed mine [​IMG] but you feel it... i wouldn't be the least bit suprised if my biggest was pushing almost double digits by now. The hens feel real light up against the drakes but don't think there really all that light..we lift ours daily over to the night time housing so that is how i know all this nonsense.

As to length and such.. hmm.. never thought about it.. i could probably measure some.. there awfully nosey.. the hens at least.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    [[[.....the average height and length!.....]]]]

They are duck sized. Exactly the height and length of a 12 pound duck. Except they don't stand as tall as other ducks, they have a more horizontal body posture.

7. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:I can't speak for anyone else, but given that this is my first batch of ducklings, I don't really have anything on hand to compare them to other than chickens, a huge bulldog and a miniature pig [​IMG]

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I can't speak for anyone else, but given that this is my first batch of ducklings, I don't really have anything on hand to compare them to other than chickens, a huge bulldog and a miniature pig [​IMG]

I'm gonna say they're somewhere in between the chickens and the pig. [​IMG] I'd tell you the real answer if I knew one.

9. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    thanks for all the info.[​IMG]

10. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC

I'm gonna say they're somewhere in between the chickens and the pig. [​IMG] I'd tell you the real answer if I knew one.

[​IMG]

Building a little "out of the sun, but not in the coop" duck house for the run - it's never too late for DH to learn to construct in chicken/pig increments, I suppose! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by